5.

Chapter 5
"Humiliation"

-2 Years Ago-

I walked hand in hand with Scott through the hallways, fake smiling. If I'm going to be honest, I wasn't happy. I mean sure, Scott's a real nice guy and all but I don't feel any connection with him anymore or towards any guys for that matter. I always shrugged it off thinking it was just our relationship but these past days I've been thinking about myself. What if I'm gay? And if I was, how was I suppose to tell Scott that? If the whole school finds out then they'll think of me differently, saying I used poor Scott as some sort of cover. Rumors went around here pretty fast and people always tend to talk.

I pecked Scott's cheek as I sat down beside him. Melissa walked over with her friend Carter. "Hey guys", they greeted, taking a seat. We all replied, returning to our conversations. Scott tapped me on my shoulder, "Babe", he whispered. I smiled and turned to him, popping a grape into my mouth. "Are you free tonight?" I looked down, thinking of some excuse. "Uh, no actually I'm not." I said quickly, a bit too quick. He looked at me suspiciously but nodded, taking a sip of his water. "How come?" He urged. "I have a track meet to prepare for and this chemistry project due tomorrow." I explained, not entirely lying to him. "Another meet? They sure make you guys run a lot", he joked. I giggled and patted his back, "Well, running is sort of our passion babe." He rolled his eyes playfully and pecked my lips before turning to Ryan who was beside him.

"You definitely don't have an upcoming meet, liar." Melissa whispered as she took notes. I turned to her confused. "How'd you know?" She rolled her eyes playfully, "Maybe because your season is over. Unlike my doofus of a brother, I catch on. Why'd you lie to him?" I sighed and turned back to my work. "I didn't feel like hanging out with him today, no offense." She shrugged it off, "I don't blame you, he can be annoying." She joked. I laughed nervously and just nodded.

"You two are so cute together, I wish me and Kyle could be like that", some girl from my last period babbled on. I just smiled and nodded, thanking her. It was like today everyone was focused on my relationship with Scott while I was too busy focused on finding a way to end it. The bell finally rang, signaling that school was over. As I walked out of the school gate Melissa made her way over to me. "Can I hang out your place? I'll just ask Scott for a ride after his baseball practice." I nodded, "we can work on my chemistry project together."

The walk home wasn't exactly awkward but not as pleasant either. Melissa obviously caught on to my mood, she was just that good of a best friend. Finally, once we walked into my room she spoke up. "What's wrong?" I sighed and took a seat on the edge of my bed. "I want to end things with Scott." I nonchalantly said, looking down at my hands. She looked at me in shock, "What? Why?" I looked at her and frowned a bit, "I might be gay." She gasped, not being sure what to say. Hell, what do you tell your friend when she admits of possibly being gay and ending things with your brother? I'd be lost of words as well.

"As long as your happy, I know Scott will be understanding." Melissa reassured me once again as she hugged me and proceeded to walk out. Her ride was finally here and after hours of talking things through she took everything well, being really supportive and actually teasing me a bit. As in teasing, she'd say something like, "Would you be like the dominant one of the relationship or the girly one?" I'm just happy I was finally able to tell her. Now I just have to wait for tomorrow when I finally tell Scott.

I adjusted my backpack strap as I walked through the hallways and towards my locker. I had texted Scott to meet me at the senior courtyard so we could talk. He didn't respond but most likely saw it. Melissa was quietly talking to a group of people, not noticing that I wad behind her. I quickly took the opportunity to scare her. "Ahh! Oh, hey Erin!" She nervously yelled, smiling at me. I laughed, "Gotcha!" I yelled. She laughed nervously, nodding, "Yeah, anyway, I got to head to my class, I need to turn in this essay. See you." She quickly said, hugging me and speed walking away. I shrugged it off, walking over to the courtyard. It was already about the time I told Scott to meet me there.

I looked around, spotting someone sitting at one of the round tables. I took a deep breath and made my way over to them, assuming it was Scott. "Hey, listen-" I stopped mid sentence when I saw it was Scott but he looked a bit pissed off. "So was I just your cover? Is that all I was to you? This entire relationship was just to save your sorry ass? Do you know how many other girls I could of dated instead of wasting my time on you? I should of known! You wouldn't even let me touch you, and when I did you'd always looked disgusted. I'm sorry that I'm not one of your gay lovers!" He yelled, waving his arms around in anger. I gasped, raising my hand to my mouth. "How'd you know? I was suppose to tell you today?" I quickly thought of Melissa, tears escaping my eyes. How could she? He just laughed coldly, "Just wait till everyone hears about this. You disgust me. How pathetic", he spat, shoving past me and walking out. I stayed there, frozen in place, bawling my eyes out. Just what I wanted not to happen had unfolded.

I walked into the cafeteria, my head low. I knew that by now Scott had already told everyone. Just as expected, murmurs were heard throughout the entire room. I groaned quietly to myself, taking a seat at an empty table. Melissa had purposely skipped class today so she wouldn't face me. Just then my phone vibrated, speak of the devil. I rolled my eyes, not wanting to hear her bullshit.

Melissa 👯 : Meet me at our favorite park after lunch? Please? I need to explain what happened.

I typed a quick, "I guess", and shoved my phone into my hoodie pocket. On cue the bell rang, signaling that lunch was over. I quickly grabbed my bag and walked out of the school, signing out of course.

"You have two minutes", I said as I approached her and folded my arms. She just nodded, taking a deep breath. "So, after Scott picked me up he noticed that I was happy, you know from hearing the news. Anyway, he kept urging that I tell him. Obviously I told him to piss off, I wasn't the one to tell him anything. Unfortunately, I had written in my journal of what happened yesterday, the usual, but I left it out on my desk and he came in and read it as I took a shower. I tried to cover it up with some complete bullshit but he didn't buy it! Before I could explain what you told me he just quickly assumed the worse! By that time he had already texted his assholes of friends and the word came out, that's why I was talking to those girls to not judge you! I tried my best to protect you! It slipped out, I'm so sorry. If I could take back my mistake I would in a heartbeat!" I sighed and quickly hugged her, bawling onto her shoulder. "What he said was what hurt the most." I cried out, sobbing. She rubbed my back, shaking her head lightly. "I'll take care of him later but right now you need to rest. I got a hold of my mom's car so I can drive us home." I just nodded, wiping my eyes.

Ever since that day I never spoke to Scott, or bothered to clear things up. It was obvious that he was a complete jerk and homophobe. Luckily, people accepted me and I didn't face anymore problems. Melissa and I obviously patched things up and I couldn't be any happier.

// Ending Note \\
Thank you so much for reading!
Hope you enjoyed!
Leave any comments, suggestions or questions! Do not hesitate! I enjoy reading them!

- terryakibowl