Epilogue

16 Years Later

“Come in,” Gerald Jr. said to his friend as they entered their home.

“How was your game? O, you have a new friend?” Sarah said when she saw the boys.

“Mom, this is Chris. He lives just across the street from us. They just moved in last week.”

“Hi Chris! Kayo pala ang mga bagong lipat. Welcome. I hope to meet your parents as well.”

“It’s nice to meet you, too Mrs. Anderson. I’ll tell my mom to invite you over for dinner or something,” Chris said.

“That would be really nice Chris and please call me Tita Sarah. Aaah… JR why don’t you and Chris hang out by the pool.  Your dad and sister are there also. I’ll ask Ate Letty to bring you mirienda.”

“All right Mom, thanks! C’mon Chris. I’ll introduce you to them.”

“But Dad, I’ll be the only one in the group without a date? Eh di OP naman ako nu’n,” Ashlee complained to Gerald.

“You choose, you go without a date or don’t go out at all.”

“But Dad! That’s so unfair.”

This was the conversation when JR and Chris came out.

“Hi Dad!”

“Hi son! Who’s your friend?”

“Dad this is Chris. They’re our new neighbors from across the street.”

Gerald offered his hand for a shake to Chris and said, “Hi Chris! Welcome to our home. Please call me Tito Gerald.”

“Good afternoon Tito.”

“And that crybaby is my twin sister Ashlee. Ash, this is Chris.”

“Hi,” Ashlee said with still the frown on her face.

“What’s wrong with her?” JR asked his dad.

“Prom,” was all Gerald said.

“I told you Dad won’t let you go with that Brandon,” JR said to her sister as he and his friend took a seat.

“Bakit hindi na lang kasi si Matthew, ‘yung anak ni Ninong Fred n’yo?”

“Dad, Kuya Matthew is in college and he doesn’t like to hang out with high school kids,” Ashlee said. “This is all you fault JR. Siniraan mo kasi si Brandon kay Dad eh.”

“Excuse me, I did not. His reputation precedes him. That’s not my fault.”

“Ikaw ba Chris where are you studying? Are you in fourth year also?” Gerald asked.

“No Tito, I’m in first year college already.”

“Really? What course?”

“B.S. Biology in UST.”

“Great course. You wanna be a doctor, too huh?”

“Ah yes, sir. Always dreamed of becoming one.”

“Very good. Itong si Ashlee wants to be a doctor also. We’re actually waiting for the result of her admissions test in UST. Right Ash?”

Ashlee just nodded.

“That’s great! BS Bio ka din?” Chris asked Ashlee.

“Nope. My first choice is B.S. Psychology. I’m not that sure yet if I wanna pursue med. Dad is just pushing me kasi itong si JR wants to be an architect.”

“I hope you pass para may kasama na ako sa byahe to and from school. I mean pwede ka sumabay sa akin everyday. That is if kung okay lang kay Tito and Tita.”

“Wait, Dad! I have a brilliant idea,” JR excitedly said.

“What’s that?

“Bakit hindi na lang si Chris ang date ni Ash sa prom?”

“What?! We just met, I don’t even know him,” Ashlee protested.

“Think about it Dad. You don’t have to worry about Ashlee coming home ng maayos as you put it. Hindi sila makakagawa ng kalokohan because you know where he lives.”

“No offense to you Chris ha. You seem like a nice guy and all but… Dad! Don’t tell me you’re agreeing with JR ha.”

“I’ll think about it but for the meantime stay here with the boys so you can get to know Chris. I’ll just check on Mommy.”

Gerald left the kids and went to their mini office where he found Sarah. He sat on the visitor’s chair in front of the work table.

“Hi Mommy! Still working?”

“Hi Daddy! Finishing up actually. Where are the kids?”

“Nasa pool. I told Ashlee to hang out with the guys?

“Is she still complaining about the no-date thing?”

“Of course. Nagmana sa ‘yo ‘yun ng pagiging persistent eh. But JR came up with an idea. Sabi n’ya why not let Chris be Ashlee’s date daw. Chris is JR’s new friend.”

“Yup, I’ve met him kanina. Papayag ka? You hardly know the boy. What did you say?”

“I said I’ll think about it but I’m considering. JR has a point, Chris lives just across the street so walang magiging problema sa pag-uwi. At alam mo ba that this boy is taking up Biology in UST? He wants to be a doctor.”

“Ayun! Kaya naman pala ang bilis mong pumayag kasi magdodoktor din. So pasado na s’ya sa ‘yo kung ligawan n’ya ang dalaga mo?”

“That’s a different story. We’re just talking about the prom here.”

“Bakit sa palagay mo ba malabong mangyari na magkakagusto ‘yan kay Ash?”

“If that happens I guess it’s okay also kasi I know where he lives. Pwedeng-pwede kong sugurin ‘pag nagkataon.”

“Ha… ha… ha! Your worst fears coming true?”

“I think it’s starting Mommy. But I know we raised them well kaya we don’t really have to worry?”

“Who says I’m worried?”

“Actually, I’m just not looking forward to the day that Ashlee finally falls in love. I think I’m scared.”

She stood up and walked around the table. She sat on his lap and wrapped her arms around his neck. He, in turn, enveloped her.

“Takot kang ma-in love s’ya because?”

“Baka paiyakin lang s’ya ng kung sino mang lalaki ‘yun.”

“They’re both responsible kids. At kahit naman masaktan sila dahil sa pag-ibig eh wala kang magagawa. It’s all part of life. That will make them stronger. Look at us. Ang dami nating pinagdaanan pero we’re still standing tall. And I’m as in love with you now as the day I said ‘I do’ to you in that church.”

“And you know that I love you, right?”

“I know Babe… for keeps.”