Chapter Seventeen

Vic's P.O.V

No matter how much I tried, I just couldn't sleep. I need to, and I wanted to. I just.. can't. Not knowing that the boy in my arms is only holding onto life by a rope that's nearly down to it's last thread. The though of him not breathing scares me. As annoying as this fucking heart monitor is, I pray it never stops.

I pushed a piece of hair from his pale face. He looks so peaceful while he's sleeping. Like he isn't dying inside. It's a nice thought.

Just like the last few days, this still doesn't feel real. It doesn't feel like Kellin hated the world so much he tried, and is successfully, removing himself from it.

He shifted a bit, his face contorting to one of discomfort. His fingers gripped the material of my shirt. I don't like seeing him in any form of pain, and you can tell he is. His lips parted as he let out a raspy cough. It sounded painful. The coughing didn't stop.

The monitor picked up a bit as the fit continued. He pushed himself up with one hand and clenched his stomach with the other. It's pretty bad if it wakes him up. His hand went to cover his mouth.

I grabbed his shoulders, mainly letting him know I'm here. I feel so trapped. There's nothing I can do. All I can do is watch. Like all I can do is wait for him to give up, his body to give out. It fucking hurts. Some of my best days have been with Kellin.

A doctor pushed the door open, but ran off quickly when she saw Kellin holding his stomach, coughing violently.

"Kells, breathe." I said, running my hand up and down his back.

I could hear the small gasps for air within the seconds he wasn't hacking up a lung. At least that's what it sounded like. He moved his hand from his stomach, grabbing onto my own. It had stopped. Only momentarily. He held up the part of his white sleeve he had coughed in to.

It wasn't white anymore.

The door opened and another doctor came running in.

"Mr Fuentes, you need to leave the room." He said, pressing several buttons on a machine that wasn't hooked up to Kellin.

"I can't leave him." That's absurd. No one else is here, so I'll be damned if I'm leaving. I could literally see the fear in his eyes.

"Vic, please don't." His voice shook and sounded about as weak as he looked.

The doctor wore a less-than-impressed expression on his face. Honestly, I don't care. He's scared and I'm not leaving him.

"Fine. Whatever." He shook his head, pulling a stethoscope from his neck.

His hand trailed under his shirt and pressed it to his stomach. Is he really listening to his stomach? Hell, he could be for all I know. I'm not a doctor, nor do I know enough to question one.

"We need to do a CT scan." He said, looping the thing back around his neck. "For now though, Kellin, you need to return to an IV."

They've already poked and prodded him enough. I don't think he cares though. That doesn't mean I don't care.

He held out his hand, still not letting go of mine with the other. His fingers laced with mine tightly. He's shaking and I can't tell if it's from the coughing fit or fear. It's strange how the thought of death can unfold fear so real. I don't think he knows just how close to the end he really is. I don't think I want to know either.

The doctor stuck a needle in his hand that trailed to a bag of fluid. He barely flinched. The thought of a needle scares me. I just dislike them for whatever reason. My brother is littered with tattoos. I'm a virgin to them, and will stay that way.