Ch. 8 - Billy's Drawing

Patrick Adams // Gabriel Basso

After working on the farm all morning, I take a long shower to wash the dirt off. With one towel wrapped around my head and the other around my body, I sprint across the hallway to my room.

My grandma always has people over. I mean, it's super nice since she's never lonely without grandpa around and all. My biggest issue is that I never know who's here, who's upstairs while I'm taking a shower. I guess it's a sort of paranoia.

It's just so different from being the only child in a small apartment. I could walk around in a bra and underwear with no fear of being seen by anyone else. Even though I never actually did do that, I had the option.

It's restricting at this farmhouse with families coming in and out like it's one of those fun houses I saw at the carnival.

I end up changing in the small closet for extra protection from any unwanted eyes. Heading downstairs, I'm not surprised when I see the crowd of kids at my kitchen table. They're coloring, crayons all over the table and paper scattered on the floor.

"So, grandma, when did your kitchen turn into an art class?"

"Oh, your grandfather and I have been doing this for years!" she exclaims with a bright smile. "Sit."

I do as she says and take a seat next to a chubby little redhead. He smiles, his lips stained by the red Popsicle he had been eating. The blonde girl to my right is one of the Forbes. I believe her name is Sarah.

"Hello," I say with a small smile. "That's a very beautiful drawing of a horse you have there."

"It's a flower," she corrects, a frown on her face.

I raise my eyebrows, looking at the picture once again. Yeah, no, I'm positive that's a horse. I just smile apologetically.

Avoiding further conversation with the heartbroken little girl, I turn to the redhead.

"What's that you're drawing?" I ask and glance at the paper full of scribbles.

"Poop!" he says loudly, making the other kids die in laughter.

I nod and look to my grandma who smiles in delight. "Lovely."

"Hey! Who thought it'd be okay to start the party without me?"

I turn my head to see none other than Will Carlton, the one boy I had been dreading to see the most.

"Will!" Sarah squeals and jumps out of her seat to run into his arms.

The other kids swarm around him as if he's their king. I admire his way with children, which is an attractive quality in my opinion.

With Sarah in his arms, Will sits down at the table in the seat next to me. He places the little girl on his lap, glancing over at me once but not acknowledging me fully. The smirk on his face lets me know he has an evil plot in that head of his.

I roll my eyes at his little game and doodle on a blank piece of paper with a pink crayon.

"Oh my gosh," he whispers in amazement and lifts up Sarah's drawing. "Who is the artist of this masterpiece?"

"Me," Sarah informs.

He shakes his head in disbelief. "No way! This is the work of a professional. Honestly, it's the most realistic drawing of a flower I've ever seen."

"Valerie thought it was a horse," Sarah tells him.

He hides his smile, looking to me with raised eyebrows. "Oh, did she?"