Ch. 3 - The Jump

Will Carlton//Nick Robinson

Julie invited me over to hang out tonight. She didn't specify what we were doing, but she said to dress cutely in a dress or skirt or something.

I went with my sundress and wedges- sadly not the ones that are ruined with milk. Grandma said she could try to fix those, and I'm hoping she can.

At around seven, there is a red truck at the end of the driveway. The sun is setting, so the view from the porch is like one straight out of a postcard.

"Bye, grandma!" I call to her.

"Have fun! And be home before midnight, Cinderella," she yells from upstairs.

I laugh and close the screen-door. Julie waves from the truck, a wide smile on her face. Josh is driving, and he too waves kindly.

"Hi," I say as I reach the truck.

Julie pushes open the door and slides closer to her brother to make room. "Hey there, Valerie."

Julie is wearing a red romper whereas Josh is in dress pants and a button down shirt.

"So, what are we doing tonight?"

A devious smile comes upon Julie's face. "It's a start of the summer ritual. You'll love it."

"We just have to pick up Will," Josh says, turning down a dirt street.

The name sparks my interest. "Will?"

"Yeah, Will Carlton. He's Josh's best friend."

It must be the boy from the grocery store. He said his parents own it, and the name is Carlton's.

"I think I met him today," I say, thinking of the puppy-eyed boy.

"Did you? How'd you two meet?" Josh asks as he parks the car.

"Well," I start, "he kind of hugged me and then I kind of dropped a bottle of milk on his feet."

The two look at me in surprise, their mouths hanging open a little. Josh laughs loudly. "Well, that sure is a story to tell the grandchildren!"

I blush, embarrassed for no apparent reason. My side door opens, and Will looks shocked to see me sitting there.

"Valerie! What are you doing here?" He pushes me slightly to make room for him in the truck. "Are you going to the Jump?"

I don't answer because I have no idea what he is referring to by 'the Jump'.

Julie answers for me. "She sure is. I didn't think it'd be fair if she wasn't invited."

"Definitely not," Will says with a warm smile.

I wince when he sits on my thigh, pinching the skin to the seat. Don't scream, Valerie.

"Gee, Will, way to look cute."

Will looks down at his t-shirt, which is stained with dirt. "Bitch, I always look cute."

"The whole point is to dress-up, idiot," Josh mutters. "You're going to make me look like a stupid try hard."

"You are a stupid try hard though."

Josh sticks his tongue out at his sister. "Shut up, Julie. You curled your hair and everything!"

Unable to hold it in, I let out a small hiss when Will shifts and pinches my thigh even more.

He gasps and lifts his butt from the seat. "Ah, Josh, pull over. I'm hurting Valerie. There's not enough room. I'll go in the back."

Josh follows his friends orders and pulls over. "You sure, man? Julie can always walk."