Ch. 2 - The Farm

We ate dinner with the Forbes, who are some of the nicest people I've met. Being the first family I met, they definitely exceeded my expectations.

Julie, the one my age, was far from the fake I expected, just because that's what I'm used to in my city. I also assumed that Josh would be that too-cool-for-school type, but he was so genuine and kind.

In a small town like this, I thought that people would learn how to talk behind another's back without them knowing. Gossip was never the topic of our dinner, not once.

They just asked me about me and what I did in New York. The whole family was making jokes, funny jokes. I can't remember the last time I've laughed so hard.

If the Forbes are like everyone else, then I was really going to like this town.

"Goodnight, grandma," I say, leaning against her bedroom doorframe. "I had a lot of fun today."

"That's good, dear. Tomorrow we're working on the farm though." She chuckles suspiciously. "Get some rest."

"Okay," I say and shut her bedroom door.

My mom's old bed is covered with stuffed-animals, so I have to knock them on the floor to make room for myself. When I do this, a book falls onto the floor as well.

I pick it up and read my diary on the cover. No. Freaking. Way.

Excitedly, I hop under the covers to get cozy. This is my mom's diary. Who knows what she put in here! I'm allowed to read it because I am her creation, technically.

I flip to a random page.

May 27th, 1988

She was seventeen in 1988, a junior going to be a senior. Just like me right now.

First day of summer!!! Finally I'm out of this hellhole!! Three months of freedom!!

I laugh at the irony. She's a teacher now.

Hopefully Isaac will be at Jennifer's party tonight. He doesn't seem to notice me, but Darlene promised she heard right when he said he liked me.

That boy is as hot as one of the Brady's!

I flip through a few more pages, my eyes skimming the cursive words. I stop on one of the pages that sparks my interest.

I'm in love with him.

I'm so in love. But pa says that he's no good for me, that he's just dirt. Isaac doesn't have much money, no. But Isaac loves me. And I love him.

Why should I care whether he has money or not? We can figure it out together.

I love him.

I keep reading closely, becoming more interested in her love affair with Isaac. He's not my dad, so this must not end too well.

I had sex with Isaac last night. I won't tell you the details- you perve. But I will tell you that I love him. And he loves me.

Holy mother.

And she tells me all about keeping my morals and whatnot. Aha! This diary is going to come in handy.

The last page of the diary is just what I expected.

Isaac left. He chased his dreams. I should be happy for him, right? He's happier now.

I know it's best to move on. He wasn't good for me anyways. He was dirt. He had no money.

But I still loved him.