Ch. 7 - Seatbelt Life

Daisy Stevens//Chelsea Gilligan

The sun went down in a blink of an eye. At this point, I don't want my day at the fair to end. It has been a blast. Better yet, I haven't been kidnapped by a clown!

Will is making me laugh harder than I've laughed in what seems like years. He's so odd and maybe even a bit insane. There hasn't been a dull moment tonight.

I'm usually an introvert when it comes to being around strangers, which is just natural in a school and city like mine. It's not like how it is in Cottonwood where everyone knows everyone. Even more so, everyone likes everyone.

My school is filled with jealousy and hatred and competitive people. So naturally, I tend to be more secluded to avoid the repercussions of the things listed above. There's so many things to look out for there.

Whereas here, I can do whatever. I'm walking around this fair with James Franco in my hands and no one even gives it a second thought.

"Alright, Val," Will says, "we have to finish the night with the Ferris Wheel."

I look up at the large structure, decorated with blinking fluorescent lights. "That's pretty high up."

"Are you scared of heights?" he asks, tipping his head back to see the wheel in full size.

"Not particularly. It's just with my whole final destination feeling.."

He sighs dramatically and sticks his hand in his pocket, digging for something in particular. He pulls out a temporary tattoo. "Looks like someone could use a courage tattoo."

I laugh, unable to contain my huge smile. "I don't believe in the powers of the courage tattoo."

He takes a step back, holding a hand to his heart as if I have just betrayed him in the most horrible of ways. "Valerie!"

"William!" I counter-attack mockingly.

"Give me your arm," he demands. When I don't follow directions, he takes my arm himself and begins the process.

"This is stupid," I mutter. "It's going to take me forever to get this off. I'll be walking around with a unicorn on my arm for weeks!"

"It's a courage tattoo," he corrects. "Not just a unicorn on your arm."

I sigh, staring down at the temporary tattoo. "At least it'll match my outfits."

"There you go," he laughs and starts walking towards the line for the Ferris wheel.

I grab him by the arm and pull him back. "Not so fast. If I have to wear one of these, so do you."

"No, I don't think that's the rule."

I stick out my hand. "Give it."

He mumbles something under his breath as he rummages through his pants pocket for the tattoo. Sighing with his eyes shut in annoyance, he places the square in my hand.

"Will," I say, staring down at my hand and remaining completely calm.

"Yeah?"

"This is a condom."

He squints one eye open to look at my hand. His cheeks change to a light shade of red as he snatches the packet out of my hand. "I'm so sorry."

I nod, biting the inside of my cheek. He hands me the actual temporary tattoo and sticks out his arm. I can tell he's embarrassed about it, so I don't say anything. Once the tattoo is on, I reveal the beautiful butterfly on his arm.

"Now we can go on the ferris wheel with a new sense of courage."

He laughs and walks to the line. I follow close behind, picking up James Franco from the ground. The line isn't very long, so we're able to get a cart immediately.