Chapter 3

8 years ago

As the school bell rang, announcing the end of the day of Hayland Elementary School, the children gathered up in lines to be led outside to go back to their homes. Carter and Josh hurried to the bus to sit next to each other before all the seats got taken.

"You guys! Wait for me!" was heard behind them. The boys turned to where the voice came from and saw a girl with short, blonde curly hair running after them.

"Hurry up, Alyssa!" Josh said before the three of them continued running to the bus. They managed to find two seats behind each other, Carter and Josh sitting next to each other with Alyssa sitting in the seat behind them.

"You know, Carter," the girl said, "you're really girly. You always wear such girly clothes."

Carter gave a glance at his shirt upon hearing her comment. He always wore light-colored shirts with prints on them. He could understand if people thought it looked girly but he liked them.

"Well, there's nothing wrong with that, is there?" Carter heard Josh's voice. "I like his clothes," he said.

Carter felt himself smiling at his friend's words and his cheeks got a little warmer. It was nice to know that he liked his clothes.

When the bus arrived at Port Hayland, Carter, Josh and Alyssa got out to make their way to the docks. Alyssa was the only one besides Josh and Carter who also lived in Port Hayland, the seaside village of the town of Hayland.

When the three children got to the docks, Josh took the lead until he suddenly stopped and pointed his finger in front of him. "Here is where I'm someday going to place my own boat!" he spoke loudly.

"A boat?" Alyssa said. "That's boring. Why not a house?"

"Because!" Josh called out. "I want to sail the world someday! And fight pirates!"

Carter let out a chuckle while Alyssa bursted out in laughter.

"Well, as long as you take us with you," the girl said and she nudged Carter with her shoulder.

Carter raised to his feet and put a hand over his left eye. "Arr! You will never steal the treasure away from us, Josh the Mighty!" he said before running away.

Josh laughed playfully and ran after the other boy. "I will defeat you, Captain Carter!" he called out, reaching out in attempt to catch Carter.

Alyssa ran after them, her golden curls bouncing up and down as she went. "You guys! Wait for me!"

Now

Carter stared at Josh, his lips parted but no sound being produced by him. Josh had taller. So much taller. His body more masculine and his shoulders a lot broader. His covered the top of his forehead before it slightly went up into blond waves. And even though his face had gotten more manlier, his eyes had remained the same. Almond shaped eyes, colored in the blue of the late morning sky. He was, needless to say, beautiful. It was only now that Carter started to pay attention to how pretty his aesthetics were.

Though Carter couldn't read his expression. Blue eyes staring back at the brown ones for the first time in five years, and he had no idea how to react. How should one react in a situation like this? He just saw Josh practically making-out with Alyssa. Their Alyssa.

Josh stared back at Carter, eyes wide from surprise yet for some reason, they were also hinted with sadness. Carter could not perceive the sounds of the outside world around him. The only thing he heard was his own beating heart as he looked at Josh.