XXII - Artificial Intelligence

September 7th, 2015

It's my first day of 10th grade tomorrow. </3 Excuse me while I go cry in a corner.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Twenty-Two

We took the flashlights we had found in the emergency pack, and Murphy went first. We both put one hand on the wall beside the steps to steady ourselves on the steep walk down.

We were about halfway down the ladder-like stairway, when Murphy missed a step and stumbled forwards slightly. I grabbed the collar of his shirt, holding him from falling at least twenty feet down the metal steps. I pulled him back as his breathing became quicker, then slowed when he was standing straight.

"Thanks," he said hoarsely.

I nodded to him, even though he didn't turn around to see.

We went a little slower after that, and finally reached the bottom. The metal floor echoed under our feet.

We both shone our flashlights around us, and our jaws dropped.

"Holy shit," I said, swallowing.

"We've been here for two weeks..." Murphy trailed off.

"And all this time, we've been standing over top of a... a..."

"A warehouse," he finished.

"Yeah. That," I muttered. "It looks like everything is working, we just need to find a light switch."

There was a steady and loud machine hum, which gave me the hope that the twenty giant freezers embedded in the wall were kept cold all this time. There were also refrigerators, which I'm also hoping would work.

Even if those didn't, I saw another thing that would certainly help us. In the center of the room were large wooden skids. On the skids were large boxes, and as I moved forwards, I realized that the boxes were filled with bullets. There had to be at least fifteen boxes on each skid, and more than fifty skids in the warehouse.

"This is amazing," I said, walking among the aisles of skids. As I got further back, I saw that the boxes of bullets were soon replaced by other larger boxes. Those ones didn't have labels, so I looked over at Murphy with a curious expression before I pulled my knife from my belt and began to cut one of the boxes open.

"Well, damn," I laughed when I saw what was inside.

Guns. All kinds. We continued to open the boxes to see what other ones were there. AK 47s, pistols, hand guns, shot guns, rifles, scopes, silencers. Everything was here.

"I'm really hoping that all this stuff works," Murphy said.

"I think it will. The door made a pretty tough air lock, I don't think that any of the radiation would have effected anything. All of this would be rusted and rotted if it did."

He nodded to me. "Come on, let's go check out the freezers."

I followed after him as he walked to the other side of the warehouse, and went up to one of the freezers. He yanked on the handle, and it took a few tries before he finally got it open. We were welcomed with a gust of cold air coming at us, making me shiver.

Everything inside was frozen, and not a single bit of it was rotted.

"This stuff will last us years," he said, a huge grin forming on his face as we exited the cold freezer and shut it.