Ch. 4 The Meeting

Situated on the top floor, the conference room was pretty huge. With glass walls and a long sturdy oak table surrounded by leather office chairs, it looked every bit the part of a typical conference room. Fully equipped with the latest technology and best coffeemakers in the world, it was definitely the "war room" for the filthy rich who ran Lockwood Industries. 

It was usually peaceful and quiet. But now filled with old, wrinkled people that should have retired long ago but were so greedy and power hungry that they clung to their positions in vain, the room looked as if it were part of a nursing home.  I watched them bicker from the head of the table, noting that for being old, they surely had a lot of energy. Must be the so called vitamins they claim to take.  Now this is why I don't attend these damn meetings. Richard knows I have better shit to do than watch these wrinkly old bags argue.

"ENOUGH!" Eighteen faces snapped to look at me as I stood from my seat. Removing the Aviators from my face, I rubbed my temples in frustration. "All you people do is bicker and fight about who controls what, gets what and is to blame for any problems that occur within this company. Frankly, it's getting very tiring and absurd. You all are here to make sure the company runs smoothly, remember that." By now I had walked to the head of the table, standing in front of the chair that should have been occupied by my father but now sat empty, as I addressed these incompetent idiots.

"We know exactly why we're here. It's you we aren't too sure about little girl," accused a balding old man who I faintly recalled as being  Mr. Peterson. A couple of others chorused their agreement with Mr. Peterson's claim.

"Oh is that so? Mind telling me what exactly it is that you do in this company that makes you so valuable Mr. Peterson?" I demanded while leaning forward, both my hands faced down, flat on the oak table. His dull grey eyes just glared at me. "I'm the man that ensures that this god forsaken company makes the money that goes into your little trust fund!"

I just chuckled. "Wrong answer."

At that exact moment, the door slammed open as it had done when I had entered and Richard strode in. God bless him for his impeccable timing. I was so close to showing Mr. Peterson why people as old as him where at home, dying in peace rather than being murdered at their workplace. Walking up to me, he handed me a packet of papers that he also began to hand out to the board members. As soon as Mr. Peterson got one, his face visibly paled. A couple of his colleagues also began sweating and fidgeting. With a smug smile on my face, I began my presentation.

"If you would all turn your attention to the papers given to you by fellow board member Mr. Hollingsworth, you will see that these are the numbers for this quarter which have yet to be released to the public." A couple of gasps were heard around the room. "As many of you may have noticed by now, the numbers are very low. Our profit margin that was projected to double ten times over this quarter has in fact fallen two fold. The numbers don't lie.....or so I thought." I fixed my gaze on Mr. Peterson's nervous form as I delivered the next part of my speech.

"You see, I did a bit of digging into why the numbers just seemed to have fallen after the release of our new technology to the public when in fact they should have risen, as projected. What I discovered was a bit shocking. Someone in our midst has been embezzling funds. Millions upon millions of dollars each quarter have seemingly disappeared from multiple Lockwood Industry accounts only to be deposited into accounts in Switzerland and the Cayman Islands. But you see, the betrayal doesn't end there. Mr. Hollingsworth and I discovered a ploy of the embezzlers' scheme. Yes you heard me correctly. I said embezzlers.  There is more than one person that has been stealing money from this company. Before I point them out, I would like you all to know what they planned on doing with the money. By sabotaging our quarterly numbers, our stock price would have plummeted. They then planned on buying the plunging stock with the money they embezzled to become the main shareholders on this board."