Ch. 1 The Beginning

Bzzzz Bzzzz Bzzzz Bzzzz

I stared at the phone, willing it to stop ringing but to no avail. The incessant ringing just would not quit. Slowly I knocked back the caramel contents of my crystal glass, set it down gently and reached across my mahogany desk for the infernal device. Surprisingly, it was still ringing as I picked it up. Quickly clearing my throat, I answered in the most professional voice I could muster at the moment. "Lockwood."
"Good afternoon Ms. Lockwood. Mr. Hollingsworth wanted me to inform you that the board will be meeting today at two and also that you, ma'am, are obligated to attend."
I rolled my eyes. "Tell Richard I'll be there and Anastasia. Next time you take orders from anyone besides me, you will be out of a job. Understand?"
"Yes ma'am," replied my assistant in a steady voice, sounding not the least bit fazed by my threat.
I hung up, letting out a big sigh. Just peachy. Richard could not have picked a worse day for a meeting.
Putting the phone in my pocket, I reluctantly rose from the overstuffed chair and walked around the desk to the door of my study. Time to get ready to endure two hours of cold criticism and feminist remarks all the while discussing business I thought to myself as I opened the study's door. Fun.