*Chapter 19*

Chapter 19

Elyse POV

Elyse felt kind of bad for leaving Jaden all alone like that when he wasn't feeling so well, but then again, these were her old friends and she was leaving today, so it was for the best. Besides, Jaden was acting like a jerk again, and she definitely didn't want to be around when he blew up. Sari was in the passenger's seat, Elyse was in the back and George was driving. They were in a comfy long steel black mustang. It reminded Elyse a lot of her phone, black and lustrous. The windows were tinted so Elyse couldn't look out, but she satisfied herself by playing Temple Run.

When they reached her house, Trey's rusty truck was parked out front and Elyse definitely didn't want to be inside now. She wondered if Da'Shawn had told despite their treaty, but when she thought over it again, she knew he'd never do her like that. She took in a deep breath.

George parked the car on the street and Elyse jumped out and darted to the front door. She wanted to check and see if the case was clear before her friends came in.

She unlocked the door hastily and swung open the door. Devon was sitting on the couch waiting for her. He stalked silently until he was standing in front of her with a defiant death glare.

"Where were you last night?"

"At Sari's?" Elyse snorted, as if it weren't anything. Anxiety creeped under her skin and she absentmindedly scratched her arms.

"Right. That's what Da'Shawn said, but I'm supposed to believe that?"

"Uh, yeah."

Devon was instantly closer to her, one hand clenched around her wrist, the other on her shoulder. She couldn't believe he still hadn't changed after their talk. "Believe me when I say this, if that dickhead came back and convinced you to fall for him again than you're just a thirsty slut, and it's evident."

 Sari stepped through the doorway and Devon loosened his grip, strengthened his glare and stormed away without a hello to Sari. Elyse was furious. She was tired of Devon's bullshit, she decided she had to finish some things before she went back to California. Family things, mainly.

"What was that about?" Sari asked.

Elyse shot her a look. She didn't want Sari to think she was 'lying' any longer, so she said nothing and led the way to her room.

"No, really, Lyse, what was it all about?" Sari asked, her lip protruding slightly as it does whenever she doesn't get what she wants when she wants it.

Elyse rolled her eyes and clamped her mouth shut proving to Sari that she was not saying a thing. Sari looked like she was about to protest when George arrived. They all silently pressed into Elyse's room. Dresses and little bits of clothes were still scattered around her mattress on the floor from her frenzy in trying to rush to get with Jaden.

George and Sari didn't comment. Other than that, Elyse and her sister's floors were barren. The brown paint on the wall was chipped and had scribbles from when AnnMarie and Yasmeen had been little and decided to write on it. The floor was carpeted and covered with several gruesome stains. The four mattresses were yellowing with age, the wrinkled bed sheets were really just covers layered over one another and not for the first time being in this room made Elyse sad. It was sad. She imagined how at night when her, Chloe, Yasmeen, and AnnMarie lay in their beds cold, shivering from the lack of heat the covers gave them.

She shook away the memory and instead started picking up strewn pieces of clothes off of the floor. She dropped her overnight bag on her mattress.

"So sorry, didn't know you guys were coming."