Chapter 16: Tickles and Insomnia

Start from the beginning

"Um... hi?" Luke said first, and the man looked up dully.

"Hello," he said blandly, around the fat joint in his mouth. "How may I help you?"

"We'd like to rent three rooms, please," Ashton said, stuffing his hands in pockets.

"For how long?"

"Uh... about six to eight weeks."

The cigar fell out of the man's mouth, and he hurriedly picked it up. "That's a long time," he said. "What're you kids up to?"

"I feel like we're part of the Scooby-Doo gang," Luke mumbled under his breath. "'And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!'" Michael smacked his chest. "Ow! It's not okay to hit!"

"We're not up to anything," I said quickly, ignoring the blonde boy's unnecessary comments. I showed the doorman my crutches. "We just need a place to stay until I get better."

"Why aren't you with your parents?" he inquired.

Ashton bristled. "Excuse you, I'm twenty years old!"

"We're all old enough to have a place of our own, Mr. Know-It-All," I snapped at the greasy man impatiently. "You are aware that we can walk right outside that door with all of our money and find some other place to stay rather than this filthy dump, right?"

He just stared at me for a second. "That'll be sixty-six hundred dollars."

"You owe us," Calum told me matter-of-factly as Ashton forked over his debit card.

I opened my mouth to protest, but I couldn't see any wrong in his claim. "Yeah, I guess," I said with a shrug. "But if women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."

"Where the heck did you hear that?"

"Aristotle Onassis."

"Here are your keys," the doorman interrupted us, pooling the old-fashioned brass keys into Ashton's hands. "I hope that you enjoy your stay at the Come On Inn."

"That's punny," Luke said with a huge grin.

"Please don't," Calum groaned.

We left the main office of the inn and stood underneath the white overhang. It wasn't very big, and it was beginning to rain outside. We all huddled close together and pressed our backs against the wall. So much for Calum's weather forecast.

"Who wants to share with who?" Ashton asked.

"Whom," I corrected him.

"Shut up, Hitler."

"I'll share with my beautiful girlfriend," Calum said with a smirk, looping his arm around Allison's waist. She giggled and rested her head on his chest.

Ashton glanced at me for my permission, but I gave him a quick shake of the head. The last thing I wanted was for them to share a room together. No one would get a wink of sleep with them rocking the inn all night long.

"Calum will share with me," the drummer said, much to the couple's protest. "Luke and Allison will share the other room."

"I can live with that," my crazy friend said excitedly, suddenly chipper. She threw her arms around her favorite band member, and the poor boy looked stricken.

"Michael and Reese will share the last room," Ashton finished.

"What?!" the both of us objected loudly.

"You can't make me share a room with her!" the guitarist said in disgust, the same time I said, "You can't make me share a room with that!"

"Wouldn't it make more sense if the girls shared?" I suggested in a not-so-subtle manner.