Chapter 9 - The Deep End

Start from the beginning

"You need to calm down. We can talk about it tomorrow. I love you, bro."

"Love you back." I hung up and went inside for the start of the fight.

Michelle. I enjoyed the cool water around my feet. Kevin was on the other end of the pool getting his team to sign a football for Lewis's funeral. His smile was missing some of its wattage, but he was still the light of the party.

"Girl, he is so sexy," Shay said staring him down behind her shades. Nadia cosigned. I didn't feel comfortable agreeing or disagreeing so I kept my mouth closed.

"Why haven't you hit that again?"

"Cause she loves Ryan," Nadia teased.

I fidgeted. The football team gathered around as Kevin raised the ball over his head and hollered for everybody's attention. "Hey, listen up!"

He waited for all eyes to shift in his direction before he began his speech. "Lewis would have wanted the party to go on so...let's have a good time." He tried to sound enthusiastic but his voice fell flat. "Make sure you sign the ball before you leave so his family knows how much he meant to us." He squeezed the ball in his hands and chewed his bottom lip. "We're having a memorial during halftime at the homecoming game so make sure show up and show love. This season is for Lewis. Every touchdown, every tackle, every pass...we're doin it for you, Lew. We love you."

Everybody clapped and cheered while he looked to the sky as if he were waiting for the message to reach him. Then he threw the football in the air before jumping in the pool. His teammates followed his lead and jumped in after him.

When he spotted me on the other side of the pool, he dove under the water and swam to our side in record time. He landed right in front of me.

Shay wiggled her fingers. "Hey boo."

He flashed a smile and pinched her playfully.

Then he made eye contact with me. "Your friends are gorgeous."

"Thank you. I'm sure they appreciate it," I said flashing them a smile.

He pulled himself out of the pool and sat beside me. "Thank you...for last night."

Why did that sound so terribly wrong? He tried to lock eyes with me, but I wouldn't let him. He finally gave up and focused on the basketball game going on the other side of the pool.

"You guys wanna play?" he asked hopping back in the water. I started to decline, but he grabbed my hands. "Come on," he said working his charm.

"I can't swim."

"I got you."

We got in deeper and deeper.
"I don't wanna get my hair wet."

"I won't get your hair wet," he said with a laugh.

He dunked under the water and lifted me up over his head. I squealed and wobbled a little bit before I steadied myself on his shoulders. They tossed me the ball. Another girl, stacked on the shoulders of a Davenport All Star smacked the ball out of my hand causing me to lose my balance and fall straight into the blue.

I fell in a million more times but my hair was the last thing on my mind. After the sun went down, we found ourselves in a quiet corner by the poolside people watching. His backyard was made for summer nights. Lounge chairs, pool lights, party music, star speckled skies...