Part III - Chapter 18 - In Character

**mature content**

Michelle. KD thought he had enough pizzazz to get on stage, spit a couple lines and win the crown. "I think this the first time I've seen you hands free," he said.

"Yeah, I got my cast off on Tuesday."

"Nah, by hands free I mean not tied up with my man Pierce."

"Oh...right."

"Let's go to the movies.

"No." I pushed my hair back and flipped through my notes, ready to rehearse. "Now stop asking."

"Your man ain't gotta know."

I slapped my notebook closed. "Why should I go to the movies with you, KD?"

"You for real or this one of them trick questions?"

"For real. Why would I want to go to the movies with you, KD?"

"Because you might like it."

"Like what? The movie?"

"At least."

"Okay, let's make a bet. If you win the pageant, I'll go to the movies with you. If you lose, I don't."

He tucked his lip and rubbed his hands together. "Bet."

"Now can we get through some of these questions?

"What's the question, boo?"

"Who is your biggest influence?"

"My pop."

"Okay. Good. Why?"

"He taught me everything I know about females. Stepped my game all the way up."

Obviously, he didn't teach him much, I thought as he proceeded to start a conversation with someone else.

"Okay, so um...I'm going to write your answers and you're going to memorize them. See you tomorrow," I said cutting our rehearsal time short.

Aleesia was barking commands at Ryan while he fumbled with three red balls, "Ryan! Focus!"

"Alright, give me a break."

"Since when do we get breaks?"

I thought it was adorable. "He's doing fine."

"No, he's not. And it's your fault."

I watched as he struggled three balls. "Is this your talent?"

"It will be," he said scooping the squishy balls off the floor and stuffing them in his bag.

"I can't watch," Aleesia said gathering her things.

All day, there was so much space between us. Now we were inches apart and I still couldn't get close enough. I squeezed him tight.

"How's Meagan?"

"Pissed." He kissed my head like it didn't matter, but I felt how heavy it weighed on him.

KD's voice barreled down the hallway as we made our way toward the parking lot. "I'm taking your girl to the movies, bucket head ass nigga!"

He turned to address KD with poise. "Make sure you bring something for her to throw up in, Kahlil."

"Whatever you need, baby!"