Chapter 3: The Welcome Back Party

Start from the beginning

"Maybe you should stop running into me." I scowled. I pushed past him and went after Lulu who had ran back to the living room. My dad and Dave stood up and tried to grab her but Lulu dodged their arms. Everyone began to call her name and tried to catch her. Somehow, Lulu escaped all nine of us.

I stopped and groaned, trying to think of how to get hold of  my psycho dog. I suddenly remembered something and ran into the kitchen. I dug through 3 drawers before I found the old dog whistle that I used to train Lulu and some of the dogs in the shelter. I grabbed a dog biscuit on the way to the living room.

I blew into the whistle just as Lulu was about to enter the kitchen. She stopped and tilted her head at me.

"Sit." I ordered firmly, pointing to the floor. Lulu obeyed. I kneeled down and picked her up. I gave her the treat and sighed. "Good girl." Everyone started to laugh and sigh in relief. Dad came up to me and ruffled Lulu's soggy fur. "Well, isn't she energetic today? Wonder why."

I glanced at Adrian who was leaning against the door frame still without a shirt. Everyone switched their gaze to Adrian. "Sweetie, where's your shirt?" Connie asked, quirking an eyebrow.

Adrian scratched the back of his head nervously. "Uh.. Upstairs." He laughed shakily.

Kelly raised an eyebrow at her little brother. "What were you two doing up there?" she laughed. Adrian's face turned red and I snickered, clamping a hand over my mouth. Emma laughed, coming to my side to wrap an arm around my shoulder. I simply shrugged at Adrian's death glare.

"I think she likes it." Adrian points out as I dry Lulu with a blow dryer. Lulu laid on her stomach with her head rested in between her paws. Adrian and I sat on the floor of the living room while everyone prepared for the party later in the backyard. Our house is actually pretty big for just the three of us, even with Emma here. The backyard's one of the biggest places in the house.

I turned off the hair dryer and leaned back on my hands. Adrian took Lulu on his lap and stroked her gently. I watched him lightly stroke her fur all cool and collected. Nervousness started to prickle in my chest again. What if he really is a egotistic jerk. Not the Adrian I remembered? The one I had a crush on. Adrian looked up and noticed I was looking at him. 

"What?" he asked softly.

"Nothing.." I reply a little too quickly. I stood up and put the blow dryer away before turning to him again. "I should go take a shower." I mumble, making my way out of the living room. I heard him call my name but I quickly walked down the hallway and up the stairs. I was nearly to my room when someone grabbed my hand and pulled me back.

"Adrian!" I gasp when he pins me to the wall. He keeps his hand on the wall next to my head, staring intently at me.

"Macey... What's really going on?" he asks me quietly. 

"What do you mean?" I ask casually.

"I mean you giving me the cold shoulder ever since I bumped into you this morning." Adrian whispers. I don't know why he's whispering. It's not like anyone else could hear us.

I don't want to tell him. What? I say 'Oh I'm afraid that you became a total jerk and you're not the same Adrian you were four years ago" ? I lean my head back on the wall and close my eyes.

"Adrian.." I sigh.

"Macey, please." he pleaded. I open my eyes and stare him straight in the eye. His eyes pleaded for me to tell him. I sighed.

"I was afraid."

"Afraid? Afraid of what?"

I hesitated before answering him. "I.. I was afraid you weren't the same Adrian." I said quietly. He gave me a confused look so I continued. "I was afraid that the fame had gotten to your head. That you.. you know.. turned into a.."