Chapter Nine - Death

Bonjour! So I know the last chapter was short. Sorry, had writers block. What? It's not my fault the imaginary people in my head quit talking to me. Stubborn old bats. Any who, who's up for chapter nine??
-------------------------------------------------------
We continued on our journey the next morning before sunrise.

My body had finally healed itself except for a bruise on my shoulder, but that was quickly healing as well. A thought came to mind as I thought about my healing abilities. I wondered what Kohaku and Kikyo did when they got hurt. Did they even feel anything seeing as they were practically dead?

"What is it Lady Kikyo?" I had been so deep in thought I hadn't noticed Kikyo draw her bow.

"Get out of here Kohaku. Now." Kikyo ordered. Without a second thought, Kohaku turned and hurried away, disappearing into the forest.

"You should go too Azami. Make sure Kohaku doesn't get hurt." She added. I hesitated, tempted to argue, but I held my tongue and fled as the air began to fill up with miasma.
-------------------------------------------
Inuyasha's POV

Naraku.

I could smell his wretched smell from miles away.

"Kagome, get on!" I ordered. She nodded and quickly hopped on before I took off with the others following beside me.

"You sense it too, don't you?" Miroku questioned. I nodded quickly before going even faster. Kagome had to grip even tighter to keep from falling off.

I slowed down as we reached a deep chasm with a raging river rushing through the middle of it. Naraku floated in the center of the chasm, his eyes not on me, but one someone else.

Kikyo.

What was she doing here? She was supposed to have disappeared! Along with Kohaku and the strange girl, Azami. Where were they? If she was here, then they should be nearby.

"Inuyasha, how nice of you to join us." Naraku said, turning his head to me. Kagome slid off of my back and backed up to stand by Sango as I drew my sword. The dull sword instantly changed into a magnificent blade.

"Naraku! This ends now!" I shouted before unleashing my Wind Scar. Naraku laughed as it hit his barrier and disappeared completely, leaving him untouched.

"Yo mutthead! What do you think you're doing?" I glanced behind me as Koga ran up to us, a small twister fading behind him.

"Koga!" Kagome exclaimed.

"Hey Kagome." He smirked. I narrowed my eyes at him, about to teach him a lesson.

"Well it looks like everyone is here." I turned back to Naraku. Kikyo had somehow appeared by my side, her arrow still nocked in her bow.

"Ah, Kikyo." Naraku purred. I opened my mouth to say something right as Naraku shot spider webs at us. I tried to jump back, but I became quickly entangled in strings.

"Inuyasha!" Kagome exclaimed.

"Kagome!" I answered. I glanced around me quickly, trying to find her. Naraku's mocking laughter erupted my searching. Suddenly, the webs disappeared. I landed on my feet and found everyone else behind me, confusion written on their faces..

Except Kikyo.

"Naraku." I heard Kikyo hiss. My head snapped towards the source of the voice. Naraku was cradling Kikyo close to his body. A look of pride on his face. Kikyo's face, however, looked defeated. Her face barely showing an signs of life.

"You and I are connected Kikyo. I can sense your hatred and your lingering affections for Inuyasha." He taunted. I let out a battle cry and charged Naraku. He merely swatted me away like a fly. Koga instantly jumped towards Naraku, trying to hit him. Naraku's tentacles shot towards Koga, wrapping around his legs. Out of nowhere, an arrow pierced through the tentacles, allowing Koga to escape.

"Thanks Kagome!" Koga exclaimed. Naraku narrowed his eyes at me and quickly threw Kikyo towards the raging river. I leapt and caught her, landing on a ledge just below Kagome and the others.

"Wind tunnel!" I heard Miroku shout from above, but I didn't care.

"Are you okay?" I asked Kikyo softly. She nodded her head.

"You need to protect the jewel shards Inuyasha." She stated. She winced and closed her eyes to rest. I gently put her down before leaping towards Naraku.

"Where's the gem Kagome?" I demanded.

"I can't find it!" She exclaimed. I groaned and hit Naraku with Wind Scars while Koga clawed at Naraku's many squid like arms, but with each strike, miasma poured out of his body. Soon, the entire river below me was full of miasma. Naraku threw up an even stronger barrier and turned to Kikyo and Kagome. He shot one of his talons towards them, causing Kagome to scream. I tried to reach them, but Naraku swatted me and Koga away. Out of nowhere, a dagger shot out of the air right as the talon was about to hit Kagome, making the talon shatter into hundreds of pieces.

"Naraku!" I looked towards the sound of the voice.

Azami.

She stood protectively in front of Kikyo while Kagome was whispering to Kikyo. Where had she come from? Had she throw the dagger?

"Ahh, Azami. So, you decided to show up." Naraku chuckled. She drew two daggers and narrowed her eyes at Naraku. She flicked her wrists. The blades in her hands instantly became covered in purple scales, similar to a dragon's.

"Did you think I would miss an opportunity to kick your butt Naraku?" She teased. The second she finished speaking, she bolted towards Naraku. His eyes flashed in fear as she changed direction mid air and slashed her blades through empty air.

"What is she doing?" Sango asked. My sword changed to its dragonscale form, and I realized that she had just cut through Naraku's demon vortex.

"You little!" Naraku roared, his barrier completely gone. His arm sped towards her, but she cut through it easily. But Naraku took advantage of her while her focus was on him. Less than a moment later, a huge tentacle exploded out of the ground. She didn't even have time to react before it tore through her chest. Shock was written on her face as she looked at the tentacle.

"Azami!" Kagome and Shippo exclaimed. A sudden pain tore through my chest as if I had been the one stabbed. I gasped for air, but the pain disappeared seconds later. What was that?

Instead of leaving Azami alone, Naraku tugged her towards him. He held her close as blood stained her black clothing. Her eyes were shut tight, and her body seemed almost lifeless.

"Go ahead, kill me." Naraku taunted, causing me to growl. Koga pounced, but Naraku slapped him away. Azami's eyes fluttered.

"Inuyasha! It's in his chest!" Kagome exclaimed. Naraku narrowed his eyes at Kagome, raising his hand to strike. Before he could though, Azami suddenly came to life and whipped her daggers out. She carved her way into Naraku's chest before throwing the Shikon Jewel Naraku possessed towards Kikyo.

"You idiot!" Naraku exclaimed. Kagome quickly caught the Shikon Jewel and handed it to Kikyo. Kikyo shot the jewel towards Naraku, her soul collectors following the jewel that had become enveloped in a bright pink light. It hit Naraku square in the area where Azami had carved the Shikon Jewel out of. Miasma poured out of Naraku, and for a moment, I felt Azami's pain as the miasma tore at her skin right before Naraku dropped her so that he could escape.

Then she fell.

Her face was peaceful as she fell through the sky. I leapt for her, but I was too slow. Her body disappeared through the cloud of miasma, and I heard the splash as it hit the raging river of miasma below. My body once again experienced her pain before it all disappeared.

"No!" I heard Koga shout. I looked up, shaking off the pain. Naraku had taken Koga's shards. I leapt and caught him before dropping him beside Sango and Miroku.

"Stupid." I whispered. I glanced once more where Azami had fallen before going to Kikyo's side. Kagome had tears in her eyes as she looked at me. Why was she crying?

"Kagome?" I whispered. She shook her head and stepped away.

It was then that I noticed Kikyo was no longer breathing.

Kikyo was gone.