Chapter Nine

a/n: Small Bump by Ed Sheeran makes me cry so bad. The freshman and new kids orientation for my school was yesterday and erg... Literally no one I know in my classes. Closes thing I have is Kania (My best friend) has the same PE block as me but we have different teachers. Thank gosh the classes merge though. (we have four classes a day and the classes are an hour and a half kill me now)

His lips left hers slowly, and he rested his forehead against hers. "You know, people are probably getting the wrong idea of what we're doing here," Keefe muttered to her.

She chuckled. "I don't care." She then leaned forward and gave him a quick peck, before standing up and walking over to her bookshelf. "I still have to finish this book."

"Does Mr. Forkle know you haven't read it yet?" He raised an eyebrow, lying back on her bed.

"No," she said, drawing out a sigh. "I should go call him."

"What do you mean call him?" Keefe asked when she moved and lied down next to him. She turned so she was facing him, and shrugged. 

"I mean call, as in using my Imparter," she said slowly. "Are you okay?"

He laughed and said, "No, I meant as in I didn't know he had an Imparter."

"Remember, he finally told me his real name and I'm not allowed to tell anyone. I use that and hail him. How did you think we talked?" She grinned.

"I don't know, telepathy. You know, that stuff that you and Fitz flirted through. . . Transmitting?" Keefe smile softly.

"We never flirted!" She defended, and for once her cheeks didn't blaze red in embarrassment. There wasn't anything for her to be embarrassed about. 

He grinned. "Sure."

"So what, are you going to do after this?" She asked, opening her book to the page she was left off of.

He shrugged. "Probably go to my house and talk to Fitz, unless he's busy with Ashla. Have you met her?"

She nodded. "Yeah, she's really sweet," Sophie said, not looking up from her book. "They're good for each other."

"Yeah, and she asked him out, which is pretty cool," he said, smiling. 

"Technically, I made the first move," she said, a teasing smile on her lips. "Oh, and I talked with Zeb yesterday."

"Really?" Keefe asked, starting to play with her hair.

She nodded. "Yeah, he proposed to his girlfriend. She was his number six and he was her ten. I was his two, apparently. I told him he was my first and he got really guilty but I told him I was with my second," she said. "But if it was up to me you'd be my first."

Keefe grinned. "Aw, don't go all gushy Foster."

She laughed and leaned over to kiss his cheek just just when Edaline walked into the room. "Aww, aren't you two adorable," Edaline said, grinning. Sophie rolled her eyes and pulled back to go back to her reading, and Keefe went back to playing with her hair.

"What do you want?" Sophie asked, not looking up from her book.

"Dex just showed up and I was just making sure if he came in here he wouldn't be scarred," Edaline said, sending them a pointed look.

"Mom!" She gasped. She had started calling them mom and dad when she got back from the black swan.

"Hey, just making sure," she said, holding her arms up in defeat. "You guys spend too much time together in this room for us not to expect anything."

Sophie rolled her eyes. "We usually just talk and annoy each other."

"Mhmm. . . " Edaline trailed off, shrugging. "I'll let him in."

She looked up and nodded at her. "Okay."

Not even a second later Dex walked through the door and fell sat on her chair. He moved so he was sitting with his legs hanging of the arm of one side, and his head hung off the arm of the other side. He let out a loud sigh. "Please be my therapist."

Sophie let out a loud sigh, closing the book. "I'm never going to finish this." She got up off the book and put the book back in her book shelf, and grabbed a notebook and pen from her book shelf. She walked back over to her bed, where Keefe had sat up on, and sat down next to him. "What now?" She asked, opening it up to random page.

"I was talking to my dad and he said I should pick out my career soon," Dex explained.

"And how does that make you feel?" Sophie asked carefully, scribbling random lines on her notebook. Dex looked up and glared at her. "What?" She asked, chuckling.

"What are you writing?" He asked, frowning. She held up the notebook to reveal the beginnings of drawing a heart. "Seriously?"

"Just shh and go along with it," she scolded, a grin on her face. "Now, how does that make you feel?"

He rolled his eyes and huffed. "I'm pissed. I just graduated like. . . Two years ago I have literal eternity to figure out what I'm going to do. I just got a girlfriend, I just got on the councils official good side, and I just figured out the hardest thing a technopath could do."

"Mhmm. . . " She continued to draw the heart.

"And then he said I should talk to the council about doing something for them and that's where the second thing comes from."

"How long would you wait to get a job?" Keefe asked, frowning.

"I don't know. . . At least three years. Then I'll get serious."

Sophie nodded, starting to shade in the heart. "Why don't you want to get a job right now?"

"Because. . . I'm not ready!"

"Why aren't you ready?"

"Because I'm just not," Dex defended.

Sophie let out a defeated sigh. "Well, get a solid reason then I'll be your therapist. WHich reminds me, did you go talk to the council about creating them yet?"

"Yeah, they said it's too human," he said, shrugging. "Well, I'll go now."

"You just got here."

"Yeah, but I have a date with Biana that I need to get read for," he said. "This was just a quick rant that I couldn't say to anyone else."

"You said it to me, kind of," Keefe said.

"Well it's better than saying it to Fitz or Biana," he said, rolling his eyes. "Bye guys."

"Bye."

___

"Well, I should probably go," Keefe said, when he saw it was getting dark outside. "Bye, Sophie."

She looked up from her book. "Bye," she replied before quickly leaning in for a kiss.

He smiled and pulled back. "I'll be hanging out with Fitz tomorrow so I'll see you Sunday."

She nodded, before looking back at her book. "Mhmm. . . "

He walked away and she flipped the page. "WHAT?" She shrieked.

"What's wrong?" Sandor asked, looking into the room with worried eyes.

She looked up at him, eyes brimmed with tears. "It's done. . . I finished it." She picked up the book and threw it. "That is not a proper ending! Forkle better give me the sequel!"

Sandor rolled his eyes. "Next time, just throw the book and skip the shriek. Can't have me think anything bad happened."

She snorted. "Okay, thanks Sandor."