Chapter 7

Still sick + school, so it's not as long as usual again. I promise they'll start getting longer again soon.

My eyes open slowly, something cold is touching any bare skin. Oh god! My mask, is it still on?! I take a second to relax then focus, yeah, I still feel it on my face. So the villains that captured us haven't revealed our identities, yet. But that raises the question; why haven't they? Oh, right, I had Dad design it so only members of my family could remove it. So the villains can't physically remove it.

It's odd; the room I'm in.

It is similar to the one that had the robot mentors with it being a type of freezer I suppose. The only difference is that I am laying on a table instead of being chained to a wall. This table is like one from the morgue, just cold metal. Am I dead? Was I dead? No, that's silly. People don't come back from the dead, ever. It's impossible.

I am chained to this table, so clearly I am on it for a reason, so let's think. I can barely feel my arms, either from the cold metal or something else. I think it was something else, because most of my body has this numb prickly feeling.

Did they drug me? Experiment on me? Maybe Scarecrow did something, but I'm not afraid. Now I'm worried, what if they turned me into a monster and controlled me? What if they killed Dick and used him as a trap to kill Dad?! No no that's impossible.

Some memories are coming back, broken pieces of sounds and some out of focus images. I can hear my screams and almost feel the pain of the blurry men's scalpels digging into my arms. Why are they doing this? What is the point? My head is pounding even more; guess my concussion isn't gone yet..wonderful.

All I can hope is that I get free and find out answers before its to late. I may get out soon because in the distance I hear shouts and fighting, with loud explosions. Dad and the other mentors, or Dick and the other sidekicks.

I hope it's one of those two options. A flurry of footsteps are getting closer, it doesn't sound like Dad or the other sidekicks. It may be another hero, or a villain. If it's a villain Im screwed.

Sadly the latter was correct, sorta. Two doctors burst into the room I am in, at least they look like doctors because of their lab coats. They don't say a thing as they grab the table I am on and start wheeling it down a hall away from  the sounds of explosions and fighting. What is going on?! Im starting to get really frustrated now.

"Stop! Let me go!" I shout at them and all I get is a quick slap to the face, neither of them say shut up.

The punch is hard enough to make everyone go out of focus again, or Im so weak and exhausted that even a flick would make everything spin. What makes it even worse is I start to hear voices that I don't recognize; it seems like the audio of a memory without the visuals.

"This serum should prep Patient 23D for the powers. We must hurry before their mentors find her, or the others."

"Understood sir, the machine will be ready in a day. She will be the first of the sidekicks to be put through this experiment, and if it is successful then the others shall follow."

"All but Green Arrow's, we have another thing planned for him."

The white hallway is just that, a really long white hallway. Maybe it just seems longer because everything is spinning and fuzzy. The voices are gone, so maybe I'm not losing my mind.

"Start the machine!" One of the doctors next to me shouts to someone I guess is at the end of this long white hallway.

"What are you going to do to me?!" I scream at them, trying to figure out what is going on while panic floods my system. I feel myself start to hyperventilate and my already fuzzy vision starts to go black.

I've never been this scared before in my life, even when I was tied above a volt of molten metal. When that happened I knew Dad would save me, or Dick when he got himself free. But now I have no safe hope that I will be saved, and if I'll be the same if I am. Maybe whatever experiment this machine is for will change me into a villain, or some cliché side affect like that.

No one answers again though and as Im wheeled through two gray double doors, more scientists or doctors surround me. They start to inject my numb limbs with different colored serums. I can faintly hear people shouting as my limbs almost seem to fill with fire, a pain unlike anything I have every felt. Worse than even the pain of betrayal that I felt when I talked to my sister. 

They're injecting me with something and I feel my breath slowing down. The drastic change from hyperventilating to barely breathing practically knocks me out, but whatever those doctors injected me with is forcing me to stay awake. Those butts, just let me sleep..please. I want to sleep.

Then it stops. The burning fire stops but I still can't sleep. There are large looming shadows over me, but even if they're all a blur of black I can see my dad's recognizable ears of his cowl stands out. Dad...he came. Dick must be safe then, right?

I feel a relaxing weightless and nothingness. I feel like I'm actually flying, like a chickadee. Haha. Maybe I'm dying; like Mom always said she hoped I would. They'll be proud that I'm dying, making their dreams come true.

"Stay with me," a faded gruff voice orders, Dad again. He won't let me go, he's such a good Dad..

But everything is just fading, even with Dad saying for me to stay. It goes all black.

An empty bottle is chucked over my head, mommy is screaming at me to get her another one. My scrawny legs carry me to our disgruntled and disgusting kitchen, silently Im hoping that we have any more of Mommy's drinks. I struggle to open the fridge; no food for a few days doesn't help me with this.

"BRAT! WHERE IS MY DRINK?! I HAVENT PUT UP WITH YOU FOR SEVEN YEARS FOR YOU TO NOT GET ME WHAT I WANT!" Mommy screams loudly, making me jump.

She's so scary. So scary.
"Im sorry Mommy!" I whimper as I pick up a bottle and run back to her.
"Im sorry," I whisper and hang my head, waiting for the strike that will come. It always comes; this is an infinite loop of pain.

^Dick's POV^

I sit by my sister's bed, holding her hand through all the wires and tubes hooked up to her. She's paler than normal and all over her body are bandages wrapped around where they injected her. She's usually so strong and this is the second time I've seen her vulnerable, both of them are my fault. Dad won't tell me what those villains did to her, and he hasn't let me be Robin for a month.

I miss being Robin but not as much as I miss hearing my sister's laugh, or her slightly annoying but insightful advice on fighting or crime scene investigating. She would know what was going on at that base, she would be able to get Dad to talk about what he knows. 

"Please wake up Lilla, I miss you." I whisper to no one, just the silence that surrounds me. Who knows how long it will stays this way, but the only thing I know for certain is that this is all my fault.