Chapter 3

I cross my arms, tapping my foot on the floor as Dad pinches the bridge of his nose. It's around three in the morning and I stayed up so I could talk to him about being there for Dick, except he isn't listening! GAH!

He is refusing to even talk about it, and  this conversation hasn't even reached what I've wanted to talk to him about. It's been going around in circles, and it's getting very annoying. I say I need to talk to him, and he is saying for me to go to bed. He won't even let me get to the part about Dick.

"Lilla, go to bed!" He snaps at me. Either he's actually fed up with me, doesn't want to talk about this subject, or had a rough night. There is the high possibly of all three.

That is the last straw, it is the fifteenth time he's told me to go to bed and I refuse to until he at least hears the words I want to say leave my mouth. Whether this stubborn Dad of mine wants to listen, is up to him.

"No, I won't. Dick needs someone there for him, and I don't mean me or Alfred. I may be nine, but I know that you're the only person who can really share fhe emotions of what he is going through. He needs a friend." I huff, glaring up at him.

He towers over me, but luckily he took the cowl of his costume off so his face isn't to scary. Well, the look of annoyance, frustration, and exhaustion is still...scary.

"Fine, Lilla...fine.. I will talk to Dick, I'll try and be there for him." Dad finally says exhaustedly, running a hand through his hair.

I smile widely and hug him tightly, he hugs back loosely. Im guessing he's probably thinking of how to reach out to Dick, but one step at a time I guess...

You know, Im not even jealous as I watch Dick and Dad drive off towards whatever sport game they're going to watch. Im just that my talk with him worked, he actually listened. For once, he listened.

~~~

I giggle as Dick tackles me in fencing, since we both have ditched our swords and are just goofing around. Bruce is out, with an actual meeting now. He's been here a lot more now, and has done stuff with both Dick and myself.

"Lillaaaaaaaaaaa, you zoned out again." Dick huffs as he sits on top of my back, pinning me to the ground. I blink a bit, focusing back on reality.

"Sorry sorry," I mumble as I grab his wrists and flip him off of me, pinning him to the ground.

Dick laughs, trying to push me off. "It's fine, and nice move Lils."

I move off of Dick, still laughing. "Thanks Dick and, oh, hey D-Bruce." I say as look over at the door, when I hear Dad walk in.

I can't believe I almost called him Dad, I never call him that outside of my mind. Im too scared too, that he'll say he isn't really my dad..

I know he isn't biologically, yes I do know what that word means, but in my heart he has been more of a father this past year than my real one was ever in the few years he was in my life. Even with his nightly ritual of being Batman, at least he cares about me. I hope he does, I think he does..

"Hey you two. Dick, want to have a go at me with fencing?" Bruce asks, smiling slightly.

Dick nods, standing. "Sure Bruce."