Chapter 3: Captain Rye and the Winds of Change

Before coal boiled the water and steam pushed the engine, the gear was turned by the mind alone. And not just any mind, for the mysteries of magic were the sole property of the gods and their mystics, those who devoted their lives to worship and study of the arcane.

And in this time there emerged wondrous things... beasts from on high and terrors from the deep, things that bump and things that creep, shivers down your spine and whispers in your head, and of course those things that live under your bed.

And the Four Winds held sway over the seas and the skies, to drive the ships forth or bring ruin and demise. The Three Virtues brought life and to them men pray. The Three Evils brought death and through curses they slay. But let us digress and return to the tale, the Captain still needs a crew for his ship to set sail!

Now, if there was one man who knew about crews, it was the man currently sitting across the table from our good Captain. Le Capitaine Mathieu was by no means a great captain. Neither was he the finest sailor. Truth be told, there weren't many people who recognized him as a captain, save himself. He was, however, an impeccable judge of character. And he could hatch a plan. And not just any plan, but the perfect plan. Almost perfect. Imperfect only in that they rarely yielded the desired result. At the very least, he was enthusiastic.

Introductions made, le Capitaine explains that the Isle of Scales had once been a prison for pirates. And the prisoners had been put to work digging and mining for years, until they hit an underground waterway. From where the water flowed, they could only guess, but some said it struck down to the deep places of the world. For soon after, great and terrible things bubbled up, things that had not seen the light of day in a thousand years. Great aquatic hunters of the dark, biding their time, awaiting their day in the sun.

The Isle was abandoned, and the prisoners left to fend for themselves. In that time a woman stepped forward to reclaim the mine and ensure dominance and survival, for she was well learned in the arcane. The mine soon became silent, save for the coming and going of those most devoted to her. The Lizard Queen, as she would become known, then unveiled the next part of her plot.

With the most able bodied prisoners at her disposal, and a single derelict ship, she set a trap to lure free pirates from the ocean. Her soldiers, who she dubbed Copperheads, lay in wait on a ship disguised to tempt with riches. What appeared to be a merchant vessel would suddenly spring forth with armed guards upon their prey. In this way, the Queen recruited more prisoners and grew her fleet. In this way, as many of you have likely guessed, our Captain's crew was subdued, and his ship anchored for collection.

Le Capitaine catches his breath and smiles. "I see your interest is wid de waitress. I 'ave a proposition, for I too am a prisoner 'ere, ensnared in de Queen's deceitful web." And with that, Captain Rye listens to the proposal, a plan to depose the Lizard Queen in exchange for the freedom of Pretty Patti. And of course, the Captain being the Captain, he accepts the deal. For not only is he respectable, but he is just, and loyal to his crew.

As the deal is made, Pretty Patti is escorted from the tavern, to be replaced by another waitress in shackles. Le Capitaine glances at her and whispers that the mine has a main entrance used by the Queen's Copperheads and workers, but there is also a rumour of a hidden entrance of which someone here may know. He stands, smiles, and bids the Captain adieu.

Captain Rye watches as the new waitress walks from table to table. At length she stands before the Captain, tray in hand, bottles balanced meticulously. She cocks her head in unrecognition and smiles, "Hey bud! I'm Lucky Leigh, nice to meet ya! Whatcha drinkin'?!" her cheeks are flushed and her hair is short and dark, and she has the air of someone who does not shy from getting her hands dirty.