You're A Woman After All

Aryl rested her head against the wall, slowly closing her eyes. It had been almost an hour, and she was still waiting. Collin had brought her to an office, saying that she needs to meet someone. But after he had disappeared into a hall, she started waiting all by herself.

The door in front of her cracked open, and a middle-aged man with grey hair showed up. Aryl quickly got up from the chair she sat, and waited for the man to speak. His eyes were trailing her and the hall, he looked like he was searching for something. After finally deciding to speak, Aryl said: "Are you Stephen Thompson, sir?"

He looked surprised at her question, "Yes, I am." He once again looked around the hall and made sure there was not anyone else waiting for him. "I think I am supposed to talk to you, come in." he gestured the room, Aryl quickly got inside.

There was an enormous desk in the room, and a glorious chair. Aryl was sure now that he was a very important person in here. She sat on one of the guest chairs without being told so, and Stephen sat on the huge chair. He looked through the papers on his desk, "So you are... Aryl Raine, miss?" he asked. "Yes, I am." she answered. He continued to look at the papers, without even glancing at her. "Is this your real name?"

"No, it's not." she answered without giving so much detail. "I see, why did you decide to change your name then?" he said, finally looking at her. "Well... My real name is a little long and complicated. So, I decided to use another one as an international name." she replied, but regretted that she lied. It was not a complete lie, actually. But the real reason she changed her name was to get rid of her real name, and real identity. She wanted to start a whole new life in the United States, so she had chosen a new name.

Aryl saw a hint of amusement in Stephen's eyes, but didn't care much. "So... You went to college in Austria, am I right?" he asked again. "Yes, I graduated from the University of Vienna this year." His eyes widened at her answer, and she couldn't help but think she said something wrong. "This year, huh?" He still looked very shocked at her answer. She nodded in reply. "So you just graduated, and decided to come here and work in the United Nations?" She was dumbfounded, she didn't know what was wrong with it. "Yes, sir." Aryl said, and waited for him to answer. He chuckled quietly instead. "It's not that easy, miss Aryl."

"Well, Mr. Linwood said I was good enough so-" she was cut off by Stephen: "You don't even have a master's degree or anything, and you thought you could work here?" She was shocked by his choice of words, he was supposed to be respective and polite. At least, that was what she thought. Yet, he was eyeing her from his chair and mocking her level of education. "I didn't think it would be a problem," Aryl said, her voice was weak. "I was planning to get my master's degree after getting the job."

Stephen chuckled again, upsetting Aryl even more. "I'm sorry to tell you, miss. But it doesn't work like that." Her heart beats fastened, "So, I can't work here?" she asked. But she was so scared to hear the answer. "It is a shame that you thought you could..." he answered bluntly, causing Aryl to feel her heart shatter. So, she didn't even get the job? She had spent all her week getting ready for her first day in UN, and now, she was finding out that she wasn't even accepted there.

Although, she kept on looking for ways to get the job. "Does it mean that I can get the job if I get my master's degree?" she asked. He sighed in frustration, getting sick of dealing with her. "It might increase your chances, but I can't guarantee it." He was hoping to make her leave by this, but she still didn't give up. "Why can't you guarantee it?" she asked. Finally showing his real character, Stephen said: "You're a woman after all, you don't really belong here."

Aryl felt like she was hit by a train after she heard it. She could have yelled at him at that moment, she could have kicked him, punched him, trashed his room... But, she decided to run instead. She ran to the door, quickly getting to the hall. She ran inside the building, trying to get to the exit. After finally seeing the main door, she got out and dived into the streets of New York.  After making sure she couldn't be spotted, she slowed down, catching her breath. And she started walking, trying not to cry in the middle of the city and go home on feet...