Z-MINUS: 4 HOURS 39 MINUTES

"So that's what all the fuss is about," Abigail said, lying on Chris's chest. "It was great while it lasted, but now that's it over... I don't know. I feel a bit disappointed."

"Don't feel bad," Chris said, "that's how everyone feels."

"Then why does everyone keep going on about it?"

"Because it's a basic human desire. It's like feeling hungry. Eventually you need to scratch the itch."

"Now that I've done it, I don't see the problem with doing it with anyone much older or younger than me."

Chris stared at her.

"What have I created?" he said.

Abigail giggled.

"A monster," she said.

She pressed her small pert breasts to Chris's chest.

"Do you want to do it again?" she said.

"I can't. Maisie will be back soon."

Chris put on his shirt and jacket, did up his trousers and stood up. Abigail put her T-shirt and skirt back on.

"There was glass on the road outside the village," Chris said. "Was there an accident?"

"We put it there as protection. People thought if the zombies' feet were damaged they wouldn't be able to walk into town."

Chris snorted and shook his head.

"Haven't you ever seen one of these things?" he said.

"No. None of us have. Except on TV."

"They don't feel pain. They keep coming at you again and again and again. There's no stopping them, except by destroying their brains."

Abigail straightened her hair.

"How do I look?" she said.

"Ruined."

She smiled at that and swaggered toward the door.

"If you're ever in town again, make sure to drop me a line," she said.

"I will," Chris said, knowing he wouldn't. She might know how to bump and grind now, but he doubted if she knew much about family planning.

Abigail headed down the street back toward her home. Chris put on his boots and tied the laces. He crossed the road to the Mini Mart. The bell rang when he entered.

"Maisie?" he said.

There was no reply.

"Maisie?" he said again.

He walked down the short aisles, but found no sign of her. There was a basket full of food on the floor. He opened his mouth to say her name again when he heard voices. He looked through the glass in the backdoor.

Four tall young men with broad shoulders stood around Maisie. Two held her arms. Another, the leader, Chris thought, had his face up close to Maisie. His face was curled up in a mask of rage. Another boy stood blithely on, watching from the side lines.

"Why were you stealing from our store?" the leader said.

"I told you," Maisie said, "I wasn't stealing. A girl told me I could shop there!"

"And what's this supposed girl's name?"

"Anne? Agnes? I don't remember. She's young and pretty."

"This food is meant to provide for all the village till all the zombies are gone. It's not going to last long with someone stealing it."

Maisie was in tears.