{29} My Test Subject

Start from the beginning

“Eevee—”

“Stop it.” Her voice finally came, and Stein felt a bit relief with that fact. “Stop calling me that.”

She was lucid, Stein noted, her voice sounded a bit detached and soft, but it was the first time she had spoken to him since he sliced her open. He kept a firm gaze on the shadows, trying to decipher which of the moving ones was Eevee, but it was hard to do. It was a waste to have her shacked down there, she would do much better as an experiment in his lab. She was used to that, he thought, and she would probably take it better than being locked up like a witch.

“How would you like to get dissected by me again,” he asked with a devil’s grin, “or do you enjoy waiting here for you execution? At least donate your body to science, Eevee.”

Eevee’s chains rattled, “An execution sounds far less painful.”

Stein let out a chuckle, the candle in the hallway flickering and causing a bit of light to shower over Eevee’s face. It was pale with sunken cheeks and with soot smeared here and there. Her eyes had made an improvement; her pupils were of normal size and longer covering most of her eyes, and though they were looking down, Stein could see that she knew exactly where she was and what was coming.

Clarity of the mind, something he didn’t often see with victim of madness. Not even from her weapon had he seen this outcome, but then again, Eevee’s souls had only been tainted partially, and that was only because Eevee herself had removed her soul.

“I need my test subject alive. It’s got a more accurate result in my research,” Stein watched as her head moved up a few inches before allowing her loose hair cover her face. In his opinion, she looked younger with her hair not in the twin tails . . . but her hair was long enough to cover her body in this fetal position she was in.

“He won’t let them touch you.” He said slowly, Eevee peeking out from below her bangs. “The only one they are listening to is him, but he doesn’t have much to work with. And they believe you cast a spell for him to be so infatuated with a witch.”

He chuckled.

Eevee remained silent, but her eyes told Stein that she wished Kid was not arguing her case with Lord Death. The brown in them was glazing over, an internal conflict was already taking over her mind, and he knew quite well that she should not be let out of the small room during that moment.

“Stein.” He turned at the call of his name, eyes meeting Spirit who was casually walking towards him. “We need to question her . . . if you don’t mind.”

“Even if I did,” a smirk played on his lips, “it wouldn’t matter. But I think you should keep her locked up a few more hours before questioning her.” He began to walk away, waving at Spirit over his shoulder. “I know my test subject more than anyone in this city, and you will get nothing out of her at the moment.”

Spirit scowled at Stein’s back, but listened to his warning and edge to Eevee’s prison slowly and cautiously. Eevee was sitting on the floor with her legs stretched out in front of her when he opened the door; her eyes shut tightly and her lips moving vigorously as if she were having a silent argument. She didn’t stop though Spirit had blocked the light and announced that he was in the room.

“Eevee, I need you to—”

“No.” She said instantly, pushing away from him with her feet and slamming against the back wall, “Go away.”

“Eevee.” He tried to take hold of her, but she slammed herself against the wall. “Stop that!”

“Go away,” she yelled at him in hysteria, “Leave me alone! I want to be left alone—here—ALONE!