Chapter Eight: Shopping

Once Mary Elizabeth, Sharon, Tanya, and Angelo finished lunch, they began their shopping adventure; spending several hours, hitting many clothing and accessories stores.

As the day wore on, Tanya began to warm up to Angelo, and the two soon were giggling together, making comments about outfits and Tanya pointing out some of the boys they walked past.

Angelo, who liked to perform around people with whom he felt comfortable, mimicked some of them, bringing smiles to Tanya's face. They both soon became impatient with the older women's slow way of shopping and wanted to go off on their own.

While the two older women shopped in one of the high-level anchor stores, Tanya suggested they be allowed to go look around by themselves.

Mary Elizabeth mentioned that she had not purchased many casual clothes for Angela and suggested, "Perhaps, Tanya, you could give Angela a hand and help her pick up some cool outfits. "

" I'd love to, Ms. Mary," Tanya replied before Mary Elizabeth handed Angelo $200 in cash to spend.

"Don't spend it all on one outfit. Look for sales and make sure it's things you will actually wear. Oh, and make sure it's age-appropriate."

Sharon gave them a time and place to meet back up, then sent the two off. As they headed towards the main mall corridor, the two chatted and stopped at shop windows; admiring some of the outfits, criticizing others.

"Oh that's gross," Angelo said, gaining more comfort with his voice, as he pointed out a particularly garish outfit.

"It is awful, isn't it?" Tanya agreed.

"I like more simple, light styles," he said. "Denim is okay occasionally, but I think thin cotton or silky materials are better for casual everyday wear, and I think gauzy type materials are cool for dressy outfits."

"Oh, me too, Angela, except I do wear jeans most days."

"I like that one," he said, pointing to a prom gown on a mannequin in the front of the shop they knew as Today's Girl. It was strapless with a mid-thigh length taffeta skirt, in a light teal green. "You know, you'd look lovely in that, Tanya."

"You absolutely would too, Angela," she said quickly. Then she added, "Oh I'm sorry. I forgot you're really a boy. You probably wouldn't wear a prom dress."

"Are you kidding me?! I'd love to wear it," he responded, the two continuing to look at the gown.

"Angela, you really are so much a girl. I swear to you, if mom hadn't told me you were a boy, I'd have never guessed. You have great fashion sense, too. You are totally feminine. I like you. I think we are going to be good friends."

Angelo smiled. He liked the fact that Tanya was now accepting him as a girl and he was hoping the two would be great friends together.

"You girls got boyfriends?" The words came out loud and teasingly, interrupting Angelo's musing.

He looked over to see standing near them, the two teenage boys they met earlier at the Burger Barn.

"You following us?" Tanya challenged.

"No, not really," said the bigger boy named Gary. "But it's not a bad idea."

His partner Jason, chuckled, adding, "You're both worth following."

"Well, we're shopping. Leave us alone," Tanya said.

"Aww come on. We don't mean any harm. We just think you're both very pretty and interesting and we would like to get to know you better."