Finally

Unedited

One year and 3 months later

Reagan POV

I look out the window of my jet as it makes it way to park in a hanger. Being back in New York reminds me that so many things have changed in the last few months. I left to clear my head and find myself. It took a little over six months for that to happen. Back then, I had gave up the only thing that I thought could make my life complete. Yes, it broke my heart. I had to walk away from a love that would have lasted for an eternity. I realize that when I left after high school, I was still chasing after that love. I might not have talked to Kenzie for seven years, but I still kept her close to me.
          Six months after that press conference I realized that I didn't need Kenzie to feel complete. When I stepped out into the limelight of being the true owner of Andre Estates, I found the happiness I had long ago forgotten. My parents had built each hotel differently. Each time I walked through the doors of one of my hotels, I could feel the love and commitment they had put into it. For years I believed they had left me with nothing to remember them by. I feel like taking this tour helped me become closer to them again. I will never get over the fact they were taken from me but I have come to accept it.
         I have started to have ten more hotels built throughout the world. The one that means the most to me is the one I am having built down in Atlanta. I am going to dedicate the whole building to my parents. We broke ground to start the building process my second month after leaving. In one more month, it will be complete. I have been thinking about throwing a masquerade for the grand opening.
         I haven't really took the time to keep in touch with Kenzie or Matty much. I actually haven't spoken to Kenzie at all. Although, I have kept in contact with Mrs. Hawthorne. She kept me updated with how their relationship was moving along. From what she told me, Kenzie went into a depression after I left. It took around three months for her to finally snap out of it. Since then, Matty and her have gotten pretty close. On their one year anniversary, Matty proposed. Kenzie immediately said, "Yes". I believe they set the date of the wedding to take places ten months from now.
         I have seriously been thinking of surprising them at the masquerade with their own engagement party also. Everyone will be there for the grand opening anyways. I just hope neither one of them are truly mad at me for staying away as long as I have. I needed time. I have worked through all of my problems. I can finally face them being together now and actually be happy for them.
          It helps that I met a woman seven months ago. Her name is Sarah Baxter. We met at a charity event that I was throwing. She stands about 5'3". Auburn colored hair with the lightest gray eyes I have ever seen. She's 28 years old. Her father actually owns a rival set of hotels. At first, I thought she was sent by her father to get information. After several weeks of meeting up, I realized that wasn't the case. She really not that close to her father. Mr. Baxter had asked me to dinner a few times. I accepted out of curiosity. The first night he actually just asked personal questions. Things like, What are your intentions with my daughter?, et cetera. Upon getting to know him, I realized that he wasn't one of those types of people that would stab you in the back or take from you.
         He actually has came up with some great ideas pertaining to hotels. He hopes that if I ever decide to marry Sarah I will take over his hotels. He wants them to continue to prosper. He said that no one in his family wanted the responsibility of them. He definitely did not want them to sell them for them to crash and burn to the ground. I told him that if that ever did happen, I would still let them keep their name. They weren't built to be Andre Estates. They were build to be Baxter's. They would forever keep that name.
        After Sarah and I started dating, I thought it would end up like any other relationship I have had. To be honest, if it wasn't for Sarah being so strong willed it probably would have been over by now. I have developed really strong feelings for her. I'm not going to say I'm in love with her, because I know I'm not. I'm not sure I will ever fall in love again. My feelings are so strong for her. I am willing to marry her. I think with time I can learn to love her. I went out and bought a diamond solitaire ring last week. I am trying to decide when the best time to propose to her will be.
           I was going to do it at the masquerade but I really think I need to throw Matty's and Kenzie engagement party there. I don't want to overshadow that for them. I believe I will throw myself a welcome home party. That will be the best time to do it. Reporters will already be there in hopes of catching me doing something I shouldn't. Every since that press release they have stayed right on my heels. When I started dating Sarah, they twisted the whole story trying to make it out that we were just together because of the rival thing. They thought either I was trying to get the Baxter's hotels or they were trying to get mine. Realizing there mistake they recanted their stories and turned it around saying it was a love at first sight thing. I really hate reporters. I can only imagine what they will write when I do ask Sarah to marry me.
          Kenzie tried calling to talk to me around that time. I wouldn't except the call. I kept telling my secretary to tell her I'm too busy. To be fair, I actually was busy at that time. One of my hotels water pipes busted. It took me nearly a month to get everything in order and the hotel running smoothly again. Even that made the news at the time.
         Sarah is supposed to be meeting me at my house later. She came to New York a week ago to run an errand for her father. Sarah and my secretary are the only two people who knew I was coming home finally. I guess the reporters found out about my flight plans. I can see them outside the jet waiting for me to get off. My body guards ask me to wait five more minutes that way my limo will be ready before we step off the jet. That is one thing I miss. I miss not having to wait around. When I was nobody, I could go and come as I pleased. Now that I am , Reagan Fitzpatrick, the fourth richest person in the world I am constantly having to wait.
       My body guards finally tell me it is okay to proceed. As the door to my jet opens, I instantly her clicks of cameras and "Ms. Fitzpatrick", yelled at me. I stop and tell them I will answer one question. After several minutes I hear, "How does it feel to finally be back home?". I give them a smile that I save just for them and respond, "Great. It has been a long time since I have felt the comfort of my home. Now that I am here I plan on settling down for a while. Although in exactly one months, I will be having a masquerade at the grand opening of Fitzpatrick's. If you want to be a part of this exclusive night please feel free to buy a ticket. You can go on the Andre Estates website to buy them. If you don't have an invite or a ticket, you won't be able to get in the door. I will see you all there. Thank you. Now please excuse me I am headed home."
        My body guards then push through the mob and rush me to my limo. I lean my head against the glass of the window staring out at places and things that fifteen months ago made this home for me. Now as we pass them I can't help but to see these same places and things with a strangers eye. I thought I would miss all these things when I left. If I did, I never realized it. Even being back I don't feel like I missed it at all. The time I have been away has turned me into a new person. The person I was is long gone.
That person was weak willed. Walked around the world in a haze. Never paid attention to what was happening around them. Didn't care about their own feelings. That person lived in a depressive state. I had to leave for me to bury that person. Now, I can see the love that surrounds me and others. I look for the happiness in others to put a smile on my face. I know life isn't easy. At the same time, it isn't hard. We all go through trials in our life. We all have hardship in our lives. It's how we handle those hardships and trials that make us into the people we are. It also teaches us a lesson.
I had to overcome losing three of the most important people in my life. It took me a while to get to the point of being able to move on. Once I did, it has been so much easier to move forward. I pick my head up off the glass when I see we are about to pull up at my house. I let the guards go do a search of the house to okay it for me to enter. Once they do, I head inside. When I moved I here, I never took the time to do anything. I just moved my stuff from the penthouse in and a few days later I left. That will be my next project. I want to make this a home.
I look at the clock to see I have about a hour before Sarah will be here. I decide to take a shower. As I step back out of the shower, I hear the doorbell ring. I quickly throw a robe on and head downstairs to open the door. Expecting it to be Sarah, I throw it open saying, "Hey bab...". I let the words drift off when I realize it Matty and Kenzie standing there. Out of nervousness, I start to bite my lip. "Hey guys. I wasn't expecting you. Come on in.", I say after several awkward minutes of silence.
Matty says, "After seeing that you were back on the news, we decided to come see you. We have both missed you." I give him a smile before pulling him into a hug. I step away and pull Kenzie into a hug also. I feel the lightening bolts run through my body at first touch. I quickly pull away and say, "I have missed you both as well. I know I have been an awful friend. Now that I am back we can hang out more."
Matty punches me in the arm playfully before saying, "You know I can never stay mad at you. I know you were off playing at being Ms. Boss" I start laughing at that. I missed him so much. I playfully throw back at him, "You just wish you could do it like me." I look at Kenzie, to see her biting her lip. That is so sexy. Snap out of it, Reagan. "So, how have you guys been? I heard the news about the upcoming wedding. Congratulations, by the way." I say, putting on the best smile I could. Kenzie speaks up then saying, "We have been great. And thanks for the congrats, but it's three months too late isn't it"
I knew before coming back she would be the hardest person to apologize to and to get to accept me back in their life. "Mackenzie, I know I told you I wouldn't leave you again. Before I went back to Georgia for your wedding, I knew I had to take this trip. I had neglected my properties for years. In all honestly, I neglected a lot of things back then. During this trip, I realized that I have been an awful friend to you both. I was selfish and let my feelings stop me from being y'all's best friend. That's what I was first and foremost. I lost sight of that. Now I am ready to make up for all that. I'm asking you to forgive me. I know I don't have the right to ask, but I am anyways.", I say. Before Kenzie can answer, I hear a knock on the door. I hear Sarah call out, "Baby, it's me"
As soon as I open the door, Sarah sweeps in and kisses me soundly on the mouth. She then says, "Baby, I have missed you so much this week. Oh, hello there, didn't see you guys there". I quickly say, "Sarah, this is my two best friends, Mathew Blake and Mackenzie Hawthorne. Kenzie and Matty, this is my girlfriend Sarah Baxter." I didn't think that I would have to introduce them that quick. They gave each other hand shakes. I saw the flash of jealousy run across Kenzie's eyes before she quickly composed herself. "I'm finally glad to meet the two people, Reagan talks about all the time" Sarah says. Kenzie glances over to me before responding, "She hasn't talked much about you, but we are very anxious to get to know you."
I know it's wrong to leave them alone, but I am really starting to feel uncomfortable standing here with just a robe on. I apologize and excuse myself to go get dressed. I was halfway dressed when I heard my door shut. I turned and looked up to see Kenzie leaning with her back against the door. I feel my whole body start to blush, I quickly cover up my breasts. "What are you doing in here?" I quickly ask. She steps away from the door and starts making her way to me. She stops right in front of me saying, "When I heard you had met Sarah I was so consumed with jealousy. I wanted nothing more than to hop on a plane and come confront you. I know I have no right to feel that way though." She pauses for a second. I can tell she is debating with herself. I was so lost in my own thoughts I didn't realize she had gotten even closer to me.
I can feel her lips grazing my ear as she says, "I know I still have your heart. I can tell that me being this close to you, does something to you. You can't deny me that?" I can feel the goosebumps spreading across my body. I try to ignore all the feelings she is giving me. Clearing my throat I say, "I won't deny it. You still do cause my body to react. You are getting married to Matty in ten months. You have to let this go. I have. I won't deny that being around you causes my body to be set on fire. I am dating Sarah now. You made your choice years ago, Kenzie. Please, just accept that whatever is between us will never be explored. "
I realized I was still standing without a shirt or bra on. I turned around to dig a shirt out of my suitcase. When I found one, I quickly pulled it out and put it on. I was so flustered that I didn't realize something fell out of my suit case when I pulled my shirt out of it. I hear Kenzie gasp. I turn around to see her holding the box with the diamond solitaire. She looks at me with tears in eyes and whispers, "You plan on marrying her".