"I recognized your car from the cabin outside the cafe and decided to stop by. I feel bad for how I treated you last night."

    "You don't have anything to apologize for, Aden. You did come to my rescue, after all, didn't you?" I give him a mocking smile and his lip twitches, but he doesn't comment on my blatant sarcasm.

    "I was rude. I don't want to come off as an asshole, as Ciara puts it. I didn't intend to give you the idea that I...don't think you can take care of yourself."

    "Well, I appreciate it." I look over to Chloe who looks between us, her face unreadable.

    "And, I want you to know, I won't be the same way I was last night if you do decide to come over to Ciara's."

    "Alright," I say, taking a sip of my coffee and tearing my eyes from his tantalizing gaze.

    "Hopefully we'll see you tonight." At that, Aden turns and stalks out of the cafe. Every eye besides my own watches him leave and I sigh with relief when I feel the heat that once prickled my skin disappear with him.

    "That was...hot," Chloe says, laughing softly under her breath.

    "What are you talking about?"

    "Did you not feel that? The sexual tension between you guys?"

    "The sexual tension? That was just tension, Chlo. There was nothing sexual about that. Just because he apologized doesn't take away from the fact that he's an asshole. Ciara probably forced him to find me and apologize."

    "No, I think he just felt bad. He probably realized how he screwed the pooch, and he now wants to screw you." I choke on my coffee, shooting her daggers over the rim of my mug.

    "Fat chance."

    The rest of our coffee date goes by without a hitch after we fall back into menial chatter that doesn't circulate an infuriating man. We finish off our drinks, eat our baked goods and once we decide we're completely stuffed, we pay and leave. Chloe offers to drive us back to the cabin, and I don't refuse.

I soon regret my decision after a few minutes though. I look over at her the moment I realize she's pulling into a small boutique and not driving us back to the cabin like originally promised.

    "Don't you dare say a thing. We're going to get you something to wear tonight since all you have seems to be shorts and t-shirts."

"We're staying in a cabin, Chlo. Sorry, I didn't bring clothes to go to parties in." She glares at me and steps from the car, pulling her purse out with her. I follow behind her with a groan and enter the shop, instantly greeted with the scent of perfume and the sound of laughter and chatter from the other shoppers. The lady at the counter greets us warmly and we say hello in return, Chloe sounding far more enthusiastic than myself. I take in all the clothing and the women walking between the racks, holding up shirts, shorts, and skirts and asking their friends for approval.

Chloe instantly beelines for the summer dresses that are displayed upfront, squealing at the multiple styles and patterns. She holds up a plain white dress that has an open back with a tie between both shoulders that fastens the pieces together. It's sleeveless and seems fairly light and breathable, and definitely not too flashy. She shoves it into my hands and I don't argue, draping it over my arm before she grabs another and hands it to me. This one is far less my style, being a bright yellow with white flowers. It would look great on Chloe, that's for sure, but not me. I humor her and add it to the growing collection.

    After she's handed me an armful of dresses, I head to the changing rooms and close the curtain behind me. I hang up the dresses and curse myself for even entertaining Chloe's idea of dolling me up for the night.

What's the purpose? I don't have anyone to impress.

I try on dress after dress, none of them striking me as something that suits my tan skin and fair hair. I finally grab the white dress and hold it up, eyeing the delicate details of the lace along the bust. I pull the dress on and face the mirror, already knowing that this is the one. The fabric hugs my torso in a flattering way and does wonders for my chest, and the length hangs at my mid-thigh but flairs out slightly, swaying with each movement I make.

    I open the curtain to an eager Chloe and her jaw drops, her eyes nearly bugging from her head.

    "Oh. My. God. That dress was made for you," She says, standing from the bench. I stare at the mirror behind her and flatten the fabric with my hands, admiring myself for once. It does look magical, almost ethereal. "If you don't get it, I will be so pissed off at you."

    "Don't worry, I'm going to get it." She claps and I shake with silent laughter at her enthusiasm, turning and heading back into the dressing room and closing the curtain.

    After I change back into my shorts and tank top, we make our way to the register and I pay for the dress. The sales lady places the garment inside a small bag and hands it to me with a smile, telling me to have a lovely day. I thank her, grab the bag, and Chloe and I head out of the shop and back to my car.

    We drive back to the cabin all while Chloe blares her music with the windows down, singing off-key to the songs without a care in the world. Sometimes I wish I had her mentality, but my past seems to have dulled the spark I once felt for life.

Having the love of your life, the man you planned to marry, ripped from your world at the hands of a drunk driver tends to do that, unfortunately.

Especially when you were in the car with him, and managed to stay earthbound.

I swallow down the rising nausea in my chest and look out the window of the car, watching as the trees and people blend into a blur, tears prickling at my lashline. I suck in a sharp breath and close my eyes, willing the memories and grief to leave me the fuck alone.

After a while, we finally pull up to the cabin and we head inside, bags of clothes in tow. I drop them at the entrance and feel my phone vibrate from my back pocket. I pull it from my shorts and check my phone to see a message from an unknown number.

    Unknown: Is this Lia?

    I frown at my phone and type a response.

    Me: Yes. Who is this?

    Unknown: It's Ciara, remember you gave me your number last night? Just wanted to give you the address. Be here at five? A second message containing her address is sent and I laugh at myself for forgetting that I had given her my number.

    Me: We will be there.