EIGHT

Aden

    I stand outside of the cabin with my hands clasped in front of me, staring into the wooden door with anticipation blooming in my chest. I feel like a young boy meeting with a lady for the first time, my cold heart racing beneath my ribs and threatening to break from the confines.

    Get yourself together, Aden.

    I perk up when I see the front door open and Lia steps out, dressed in the white dress that I requested. The sides of her hair are pulled back in an intricate twist and fastened at the back of her head, loose strands framing her delicate face. I take her in, my eyes traveling down the expanse of her body—but I stop, my gaze narrowing at her once unblemished legs, now covered in bruises.

    "What the fuck happened to your legs?" I growl, hissing through my teeth with a sudden seething rage igniting in my gut. I grab her hand and help her descend the steps as I take in the damage. Long cuts scrape up her shins and dark spots marr her creamy skin. I fight back the urge to sit her down and look at each one, accounting for them. Her eyes make an effort to not meet mine, her mouth opening to form words but falling short. Finally, she speaks, her voice soft.

    "I fell." She lies through her teeth, I can tell it's a lie from just the look in her eyes.

    "You lie," I say, pulling her and grabbing her shoulders to face her toward me. "What happened?"

    She sighs heavily and turns her face away from me and I trace her features, from the slope of her nose, the soft pillows of her lips that worry between her teeth, and the delicate point of her chin. "I almost drowned earlier. Chloe saved me but—"

    Heat flares in my chest and extends outwards, my Dhaéra swirling along my skin in a fit of rage. Almost drowned? The daughter of Mannan almost drowned—it can't be.

    Surely she wouldn't have done that to herself, and that's ignoring the fact that her powers have yet to surface—or at least from what we believe.

    "What do you mean?"

    "I'm not sure how else to say it to you, Aden. I almost drowned, but I'm fine now, okay? Let's not start this off with a fight." I feel the warmth extend to my fingertips and I pull away quickly, not wanting to alarm her.

    "Fine," I say, feeling the warmth calm to just a flicker of a flame in my chest. I lace my arm around her back and pull her toward my car. "But we will talk about this later."

    "Can't wait." She drawls, rolling her icy eyes. I open the door for her and help her inside, shutting it and swiftly before heading to the driver's side. I climb in the car, start the engine, and feel it roar beneath me like an angered Oilliphéist.

    Without another word, I take off down the gravel road, all while giving her side glances, studying her as she stares out the window at nothing in particular.

    "How was your day?" She finally asks, her gaze falling on me. I turn my attention back to the road, the tension easing from my body with each minute that passes.

    Don't let this ruin your chances. You need to keep her on your side.

    "It was fine," I answer, pressing down on the gas before turning onto the highway. I watch her fall back into the seat from the force of my vehicle with a smile tugging at my lips. My car pushes forward and I watch the RPMs climb on the dash so I press my foot onto the clutch, shifting downward into fourth gear. I watch as her eyes follow the movement of my hand, her nostrils flaring at the sight. I see her press her thighs together and tear my eyes away from her creamy skin, trying to get the thought of what those legs would feel like wrapped around my face from my mind.