Jily Part 16

When they awoke, then sun was setting behind the mountains in the distance and a faraway murmur of students rolled down the lawn from the open doors of the castle. James helped Lily to her feet and they strolled up the sloping grass and up to the front entrance, neither of them needing any words, their hands linked between them.

They reached the door and both stopped, neither of them sure whether they wanted to enter the bustling Great Hall. James looked at Lily and understood, just from looking in her eyes what she wanted was time with him. He gave her a smile and squeezed her hand before pulling her off towards the kitchens. After they received a fair enough amount of food for the both of them from the house elves they rushed their way up the stairs, their destination obvious.

They arrived at the Library, the lights were lit bright and warm, the librarian nowhere to be found. They crossed the room to their table and set up the food, enjoying their time together, for it would be the last they might have before term ended and they were full wizards.

Lily’s face beamed throughout the whole meal, her eyes never leaving the man she had grown to love so much over such a short amount of time. She leaned across the table and smirked at him before pulling him closer from his collar, planting her lips on his.

James had been momentarily shocked, but then returned her kiss with more passion than he had before. Their time was so short together that they had to make every moment last.

They broke apart, and Lily turned her head away, her eyes glistening with tears.

“Lily.” James circled the table and sat on the bench next to her, wrapping his arms around her, pulling her head onto his shoulder.

“I know I shouldn’t be crying. It’s not like we won’t ever see each other again.” James’ arms tightened and he burrowed his head into her hair, his eyes closed, his hand rubbing circles on her back.

“We have a few more days.” Lily pulled away and smiled up at him, her tears falling freely. James brought his hands up to her face and dried her tears. “I fear if you continue like this I might just about cry as well.” Lily scoffed, and smacked him in the arm before rubbing her eyes.

“Don’t even joke James.”

“I’m not.” Lily looked up at his serious face and could feel the pin-pricks of tears threatening to fall once again.

“No, please let’s talk about something else.” James nodded and brushed her hair behind her ear.

“I have a question for you to answer.” Lily looked up at him, curious a little wary.

“Yes, what is your question?” James furrowed his brown and closed his eyes for a moment before asking,

“What was your first impression of me?” Lily sat up straight, her mouth in a sort of pout.

“Where did that question come from?”

“Answer me truthfully.” Lily cocked her head to the side and then smiled.

“When I had first laid eyes on little James Potter I initially had thought; Does he own a hairbrush?” she laughed and then continued, “At first I thought you were a rich boy who grew up well in a Wizarding family, that which I was jealous of, and was lucky enough to have friends who supported you and who would stick to you. After a year or so, I wondered how you managed to do everything so well, you were top in Quidditch, classes, and you were even quite a good boy, that was, until you lot hit the rebellious phase in year three and never got out of it. To be quite honest I never thought of you as a bad person. Just someone I envied who also happened to be a bit of a trouble maker and sometimes bully. That aspect of you was the only part of you that I never liked.” She reached up and brushed James’ hair off his forehead, her eyes ringing with the truth of the words she had just spoken.

James smiled at her and then looked away.

“I was a bit of a prat back then.” He laughed and looked back at Lily. “My first impression of you was nothing of the sort.” He teased. Lily glared at him, her eyes playful.

“Oh yes, “Look it’s the little muggle born, let’s see how much she even know about magic.”” She scoffed while James just shook his head.

“More like, “Who is this girl and why I haven’t I met her sooner?”” Lily laughed and pressed her lips to his.