Jily part 5

"Evans." Lily stomped down the corridor, her bag swinging wildly, her books in her arms. She ignored the boy that was following her, his black greasy hair tucked behind his ears. He grabbed her arm and she shrugged him off.

"Evans can you just stop and listen to me?" Lily wheeled around, her eyes glaring daggers.

"Why in the world would I listen to you? You've made it plenty clear over the last few years of your disdain towards me." She clenched her jaw and turned back around, continuing on her way; ignoring the look of indignation on the boys face.

"You didn't even give me the chance to explain anything. That git-" Lily rounded on him again, her anger growing by the second.

"That git is different then you supposed him to be. What would you know anyway?" She spun away and started up the stairs making him trail after her for the remainder of her sentence. "You don't hang around him, you don't follow him in the corridors like a stupid little puppy, and you've never even had a civilized conversation with him. You don't know anything about him, and yet you put him out to be bad one here?"

"Lily-" he plead her name.

"Oh don't be all friendly with me all of a sudden Severus."

"Lily, you used to stick up for me when he bullied me. What happened?" Lily sighed and grit her teeth.

"Why don't you tell me?" Severus followed her silently. She could almost hear the little gears winding in his head, trying to come up with some sort of excuse. "You, know what? Never mind. I don't even want to hear your answer. You've made it perfectly clear that you won't ever be friends with a mudblood." Lily spat the word out like a piece of rotten bread. "Please just leave me alone. I've got to study."

"Right, I see how our friendship is, you ditch me for Potter. How wonderful. It was nice knowing you then." He turned on his heel and sprinted down the library. Lily huffed as she walked past the young librarian and caught sight of James already at their table; his books splayed out like he had been there all day, his head resting on his arm, his breathing even. Her hard expression softened as she took her spot across from him and started unloading her books quietly. 

She unscrewed the lid to her bottle of ink and was about to dip her quill into it when she sighed, willing herself to forget about Severus. She was far more hurt than she cared to admit. Placing her quill down on her unused parchment she reached towards James and carefully removed his glasses from his face, folding them and placing them on the table between them.

The pain she had felt moments before seemed to melt away with the sound of James's breathing. She looked at his face, it was so calm and childlike. She was glad she got to see this side of him, the side that wasn't putting up pretense, the side that wasn't constantly finding any sort of mischief. Even though she was starting to get used to his antics, this was nice and refreshing, she wanted to see more of this. 

With a small smile playing on her lips Lily picked her quill up and dipped it into the ink, beginning work on her essay, the only sounds she heard was the sound of her quill scratching on parchment and the deep sleeping breaths of James.