Jily Part 19

Weeks after their last term as Hogwarts students James had set up a special date for him and Lily. He first asked permission from her patents then proceeded to create a lavish invitation with frills and bows and sent it to her via owl.

Lily received the letter, and at first glance was terrified at what she would find upon opening; but she forced the gaudy parchment open and found the invitation to dinner for two for the upcoming weekend. It detailed that he would pick her up at a quarter to 6, travel to their dinner reservation at 6:30, walk around a park after the meal for half an hour and then the trip home.

It was a good thing Lily loved James for she was half scared to find what would REALLY happen that evening; but when the time drew near on the day of the date she found the nicest dress in her closet and pulled her hair into an elegant up-do with the help of her mother and applied make-up and perfume.

She sat on the edge of her bed, her hands nervously squeezing a small pillow at her side when the doorbell rang right on time. She swallowed hard, terrified at what she had gotten herself into.

She heard the dulcet tone of James’ voice along with the deep warbled noises that came from her father, followed by the quiet, yet firm tone from her mother as they invited him inside. Lily strained her ears as she heard the front door shut and the voices grew fainter as they left the front entry and went into the living room.

Lily sighed deeply and stood when her mother called for her. She dropped the pillow onto her bed; the stuffing squished and distorted in places where she squeezed too hard; left her room and the comforts it held and made her way down the stairs and into the living room.

When she entered the room she was surprised to find the three of them laughing at a joke either James or her father had told and gaped in surprise at James’ appearance. He was wearing a dark suit with a green tie and he had even tried to tidy his hair. When his eyes met Lily he stood up and smiled at her.

“Lily dear, James has just told us about his first time driving a car. We had no idea that cars were such a foreign idea to the Wizarding World!” Lily smiled at her mom and laughed slightly before replying,

“Well, it may not be the Wizarding World so much as the Wizards themselves. James doesn’t know how to use a telephone either.” Lily smiled at the guffaws from her parents and then turned, startled when she heard a scoff behind her.

Lily spun in place and was shocked to find her sister Petunia poking her head through the door.

“Can’t use a telephone, why that’s preposterous, next you will tell us that he can’t even use the postal system.” Lily bit her lip and bit back a retort as the mood in the room took a turn from pleasant to awkward.

“James,” Lily started, “this is my sister Petunia. Petunia, this is James Potter. The one I told you about.” Petunia came into the room, and folded her arms over her chest as she studied the man standing in front of them

“Well, at least he isn’t that nasty greasy haired boy. He was horrid, this guy doesn’t seem that much better though. Mum, if you excuse me, I’m going out.” And with that Petunia left the room with another scoff and the awkward silence remained.

“Erm, shall we go Lily? Our reservation is soon.” Lily nodded and gave her mum and dad a kiss on the cheek before following James out into the warm summer night.

Once the door was shut behind them James took Lily’s hand in his and walked her down the front walk to a motorcycle that was parked on the street.

Lily gaped. “And how, may I ask, did you learn to drive a motorcycle?” James smiled and handed her a helmet off the seat.

“Sirius taught me over the last few weeks. It’s his bike; we’re just borrowing it for a bit.” Lily frowned and strapped the huge helmet carefully over her perfectly pinned hair before getting on the bike behind James. She wrapped her arms around his waist and held her breath as they took off down the street.