Jily part 4

The shouts and screams were deafening as Lily stood in the stands, her fellow Gryffindors around her. The game was a close one, and Lily couldn't keep her eyes off James. Every few minutes a bludger would streak towards him; the other team trying to prevent him from catching the Quaffle. He dodged them when needed, the beaters protecting his flanks, knocking the dangerous balls towards the Slytherin chasers.

This had been going on all game, with no change as the seekers had ample opportunities to search for the snitch while James dodged attack after attack. The commentator's voice rang over the stands and Lily stretched up onto her toes to get a better view of James as he swooped low over the ground to catch the Quaffle, a bludger barely missing his head.

Lily wanted to cover her eyes, but she couldn't peel her eyes away from James, she didn't want to miss anything, in fear of him getting hurt. Too fast, James pelted up into the air, leaving his protective beaters in the dust, towards the goals. He swerved around the other chasers in the air and feigned a toss to the right goal before throwing it through the left hoop.

James flew around the goal posts, waiting for the Quaffle to go back into play, it soared over the Gryffindor team and over towards the Slytherin players. One particularly lanky boy caught it and began zigzagging his way towards their goal; James flew after him, knocking into him, trying desperately to get the Quaffle. One of the other chasers on his team came to James' aid, he smashed into the Slytherin player from the other side, sandwiching the Slytherin chaser in between them as they rose into the air, and made wild loop-the-loops to dizzy the Slytherin player. James ignored the whoops from the Slytherin team and was almost knocked from his broom when the Beaters from the Slytherin team aimed a bludger in their direction. Wanting to protect him team mates, James pushed them out of the way, grabbing the Quaffle in the process and push forward, willing his broom to go faster before the ball would hit his face. He was too little too late and the bludger knocked him from his broom, hitting his shoulder rather than his head as he had expected. The whole stadium gasped, and the screaming died instantly.

James dangled off his broom, his arm wrapped around the handle, swinging dangerously high above the field. The arm that held the Quaffle was pulled tight against his chest so as to not drop the ball.

The breath that Lily had been holding in came out as a sigh of relief as James swung himself back onto his broom and swooped down to the field with the Gryffindor team at his sides. They clapped him on his back and made their way to the goal post. Just as he made the Quaffle into the middle hoop a tumultuous screaming came from the Gryffindor students as the seeker caught the snitch. Gryffindor had won the game.

The team landed on the field and was immediately swarmed with students from all houses but Slytherin. The crowd pushed and shoved to try and get close to the winning team.

Lily was pushed with the tide of Gryffindors onto the field and towards the players. She was jostled back and forth between screaming students before finally forcing her way out of the crowd, falling to the ground once free of the students. She sat on the ground, momentarily shocked at what had just happened. She brushed off her legs and skirt before a hand appeared in front of her. She looked up at the hand and saw James' smiling face.

"Alright there Lily?" He asked as he helped her to her feet. She nodded a little disgruntled at the crowd that was forming behind James. She went to pull her hand from his, but James pulled her close to whisper into her ear. The smell of grass, and pumpkin, which she had come to know as James' scent was strong as he wrapped his free arm around her.

"You promised me a date didn't you?" He pulled back and beamed at her. Lily couldn't help but return the smile.

***Authors Note: I have been getting a ton of comments on whether or not James was a Seeker. To answer all the questions and to please stop the flood of comments I am telling you that JK Rowling said he was a Chaser. So that is exactly what I made him. Sure, the movies said he was a seeker, but they got that wrong. Please no more comments about him being a seeker, because he wasnt.***