Jily part 7

James took it lighter than Lily had expected. He listened to her quietly, his hand never leaving hers, his eyes trained on her face. When she finished he was silent for a few moments, his free hand covering his chin and mouth, his gaze thoughtful. Finally, when he spoke, his tone was quiet and his eyes were soft and understanding,

“Dreams are sometimes louder than actions. Maybe you should try and make up with Snape. I know things between you haven’t gone too well lately and I guess that is partly my fault. Go be with him for a weekend or two, have a chat with him and see what is really bothering him.” Lily looked into James’ eyes and saw warmth she hadn’t noticed before. She felt a pang of guilt as she remembered the day they made plans for their date.

“This weekend we were supposed to-” Lily stopped when James’ squeezed her hand.

“He needs you more than I.” Lily gave James a small smile, her heart wrenching in her chest. She took the hand that was atop hers and held it in both of her hands. She gazed at James and he looked back with such a gentle expression that she absent mindedly brought his hand to her lips, placing a kiss on his knuckles before releasing him.

The hand that she had held captive not moments ago cupped her face and his thumb stroked her cheek, his eyes never leaving hers. Lily could feel her cheeks burn under his hand and her heart hammered in her chest. James leaned over the table, his face nearing hers and her heart skipped a beat. He was going to kiss her! Right here in the middle of the library!

Quickly she stole glances in both directions, worried of who might see them. She need have not worried; no one was around, not even the librarian. She turned her gaze back towards James who had sunk back into his bench, his hand dropping from her face. Her breath caught in her throat and she forced it down with a swallow.

Lily looked away from James, her eyes traveling from the books in front of them on the table, to her hands, then back up to James when he chuckled.

“Relax Lily.” He rose from his spot at the table and slowly; almost as if he were walking in slow motion; took a seat on the bench next to her. “This,” he said “Is a lot more comfortable then reaching across a huge table just to kiss you.”

Lily smiled a small smile, her breath returning. She had momentarily thought that their first kiss wasn’t going to happen. Her mind had run a marathon in those few seconds after he pulled away, thinking up a million reasons why he wouldn’t have wanted to kiss her. But he leaned forward and placed his hands on the sides of her face, his fingers already tangling in her long red hair. He gave a quiet laugh before he placed his lips upon hers sealing their first kiss.