Jily part 9

James led Lily from the library up to the Gryffindor common room, his hand linked with hers, not answering any question that Lily asked him; he just threw smiles over his shoulder at her, betraying nothing. They reached the portrait of the Fat Lady and Lily’s mind was running in circles. Why would they be going to common room, won’t all the other Gryffindor’s be around? Why aren’t we going somewhere quieter? Maybe doesn’t want to be alone with me for too long?

Lily’s heart started to sink as he pulled her through the portrait thinking,

‘He just wants to show me off to his friends.’ They came into the common room to find it deserted, a warm fire burning in the fireplace. The lights were dimmed and there were bouquets of Lilies on the tables around the room.

Her breath caught in her throat and James turned to her and gave her a large smile, his eyes twinkling in the dim light. He took her other hand in his and led her over to the two arm chairs by the fire. He let go of her hands when they sat, still not saying anything, his eyes always watching her.

Lily looked around the room and the subtle differences; the small lilies tucked in random crevices and draped off the tapestries on the walls. There was one particular object in the room that caught her attention. Near the staircase that led up to the boys dormitory was James’ broom, it had lilies all over it; stuck between twigs and wrapped around the handles. Her mind was reeling trying to let it all in. How he had managed to do this was beyond what Lily had expected. She turned back to James’ he was still looking at her, a small affectionate smile on his face.

“How did you manage this?” She said in a soft voice, blinking back tears.

“I had all day to plan it.” He beamed at her, and then reached across the distance for her hand. “I was thinking that maybe you’d want to just relax, get away from studying and all the crazy in your life.” Lily looked at him and laughed.

“I think the craziest thing in my life right now is sitting next to me.” She smiled at James ad he laughed as her green eyes meet his. He leaned forward abruptly, his face inches away from hers then hesitated for a moment, his eyes never leaving hers. Then slowly he closed the distance and his lips met hers.

It was a sweet short kiss, something like the first kiss they shared two weeks before. James pulled away and sat back into the arm chair, covering his mouth with his hand, his gaze on the fire.

Lily watched him, her heart pounding, trying to understand what was wrong with him. She stood and sat on the arm of his chair, putting her hand on his head. He looked up at her, his cheeks red, and she understood. She leaned down and pressed her lips to his, sliding off the arm of the chair and into his lap, her hands on either side of his face. He pulled her closer, his hands around her waist, his mouth moving against hers.

After what felt like an eternity they broke apart, their breathing elevated, hearts pounding and Lily laid her forehead against his chest, hiding her face. He rubbed her back and kissed the crown of her head before resting his cheek on her hair.

The smell of grass and pumpkins enveloped her and she rested her head against his collar bone, her nose pressed against his neck, one hand in her lap, the other on his chest. He took her hand in his and kissed it gently before resting them on her lap, his thumb rubbing circles absent-mindedly on the back of her hand.

“I almost forgot.” James’ deep voice came out in a whisper as he dropped his hand from her waist. He reached for something on the table between the two arm chairs then brought it closer. He dropped her hand and gingerly held a green velvet bag in his hands; he gently opened the small bag then paused.

“Hold out your hand.” Lily held her hand out and James tipped the contents of the bag into her hand. With a soft cling, a silver chained necklace with a single charm fell from the bag. She gasped as she looked at the piece of jewelry; the simplicity of the thing was stunning enough, a single lily fell from the chain and glinted in the firelight. She held it gently in her fingers and held it closer to get a good look.

After admiring for a minute James took the necklace from her and brought it around her neck before clasping it in the back. He pulled her hair out of the way and kissed her on the side of her forehead.

“I saw this in Hogsmead and just had to get it for you.” He whispered in her ear. She looked up at him, her eyes full of emotion.

“It’s beautiful thank you.” She leaned forward and kissed him before laying her head back on his chest. James drew a blanket over them and rested his cheek on her head; where they lay for the rest of the night.