Jily Part 1

“James, I know you are there. You don’t have to hide.” Lily rolled her eyes as she passed the statue of the One-Eyed Witch. Anytime she passed this particular statue he almost always seemed to appear out of nowhere, but she knew that he had always just hidden himself well so she always expected it. She stopped and leaned against the wall, her gaze fixated on the statue; her annoyance with this boy had been growing ever since she met him. Sure, he may be good looking and he may be popular but anyone who teased and tortured her friend for fun would never have a chance. That was, at least, until she had seen his passionate side. She didn’t know how she hadn’t noticed it before, the way he always went for the things he loves with such passion, whether it was Quiddich practice or a real game. She had even started to notice the same fiery passion when talking to her and it always seemed to make her heart leap in her chest.

“You aren’t thinking about me now are you Lily?” James asked from behind. Lily jumped, she thought for sure he would have come from behind the statue, not from the corridor behind her. She masked her surprise and turned on him a scowl on her face.

“Who is thinking about you?” She cocked her head to the side, “Thinking only about yourself again now are we?” James’s smile was infectious and Lily tried everything she could to keep her scowl on her face, but lost as the corners of her mouth pulled up into a small smile, her cheeks burning.

“Say, are you free for the next few hours?” James asked, stuffing his hands deep in his pockets. Lily shrugged,

“Maybe, why?” Lily knew what he was going to ask; he wanted to take her on a date; on a stroll down to the black lake in front of his friends just so he could show off the fact that he had gotten her to agree, but she wouldn’t be accepting this offer, not even if he asked nicely.

“I was just wondering if maybe you wanted to study together in the library.” He looked at her expectantly, an innocent smile on his face. “That is, only if you want to.”

Lily was shocked, this was the first time he hadn’t hit on her or asked her on any sort of date, what is wrong with him? She looked at him in disbelief and her heart thumped loudly in her chest, the smile that he was giving her was different than before; it wasn’t arrogant or cocky; it was genuine, who could say no to that?

“I’d like that James, sure.” His smile grew and Lily tried to hide the blush that formed on her face as he grabbed her hand and pulled her after him. Maybe he wasn’t such a bad guy after all Lily thought. Anyone who could get her to feel this way couldn’t be all too bad right? Lily smiled to herself and walked in step next to James, she hoped he would be like this from now on.