Chapter 2 - File #1.2: The Good Memory

Start from the beginning

Mrs. Turner stopped me on the way out. "Do you, by any chance, really speak French?" She asked while arranging her desk. "I'm not gonna lie, you did sound like a person who was born and raised in France."

"Sadly, no," I replied. "I only read what you gave us last week and the week before that."

"Are you sure? What I gave to the class wasn't really enough to have you speak that fluently."

"Well, maybe you should've given more before asking us to do something beyond our ability," I shrugged. "See? I'm drop dead serious, Madame. I hope that makes us better than KC."

Welcome to Bridgewald High, Mrs. Turner. I smiled as I walked past the door. This wasn't my first time leaving a teacher speechless. Mrs. Turner was only working here for three weeks, she had absolutely no idea about having me in her class.

When I was taking my math book out from my locker, I was informed by one of my French classmates that I was called to the principal's office. I glanced at the office, which was not that far from where I was standing. Mrs. Turner just got out of the room. Oh, really? Did she just file a complaint against me for outsmarting her in her own class?

Mrs. Dench, the principal, asked me to sit as soon after she allowed me to go in. Unlike most of the students, I was never afraid every time someone told me 'Hey, you get called by the Principal.' I could get called twice a month and there should be a new topic to discuss every meeting. It wasn't like I damaged a school property or got caught bringing prohibited items to school. It really wasn't because I did bad things at all.

Or maybe it was. This also wasn't my first time to be informed that I had been transferred to another class. In a harsher way, teachers had removed me from their classes for some ridiculous but obvious reason.

"So, Avery Kane..."

"If it's because what I said in French class, I didn't mean to."

She furrowed her eyebrows. "Sorry?"

Oh, she didn't know? I was overthinking it. Mrs. Turner wasn't coming here to talk about me after all. "No, I'm sorry. Now, what did you say?"

"I'm sure you already knew about the early admission program at Bensworth University," she started talking again. She entangled her hands and smiled. "I've been hearing from all the teachers here, including Mr. Connor, that you... are a perfect student. The new French teacher, Mrs. Turner, just told me the same thing."

She did talk about me! She seemed underestimating the whole class at first, but because I kind of saved them, she just became like the other teachers with their compliments. It really was getting old. I've heard that a lot from the teachers that I had to put my 'duh' face every time someone brought it up again.

"I saw your grades. It's incredible," she added. "You have IQ of 170. Straight A's since your freshman year. I'm amazed."

Of course she was. Duh.

"I'm recommending you to apply," she pointed out. "Truthfully, you are too good to be just a high schooler. You belong to a higher education."

The same thing over and over again, that I could remember her exact words the last time we discussed about this. She didn't care that the main reason I had such good grades was because I could fully remember what I read, saw, or even listened. Every quiz, every exam I had, even the reading I did at the French class three minutes ago just felt like I'd done it in the blink of an eye. The answers were all there, on my mind, perfectly pictured, and I just had to read it. The whole class didn't even give their best efforts because they knew the teacher would only mention one name as the A+ achiever: Avery Kane.