THE ODD, THE UNKNOWN AND THE CRAZY

It was chaos. Violence everywhere. Humanity was long dead. All anyone ever cared about was themselves. There was no love. Only hatred and wrath. Kings were ruthless. Citizens were impatient, scared, angry. Peace was long lost. Blood flowed like rivers. The wind took hundreds of souls with it in every blow. It was miserable.

In a small city of greece, an unknown man, apparently appeared out of nowhere. Nobody had ever seen him before. Was he an immigrant? A refugee? A criminal? Nobody knew. His facial hair looked like it had not been groomed in centuries. Long, grey and unruly. It only added to the speculation of him being a runaway. Reasons unknown. He had wrinkly hands and face which clearly showed that he was very old. He was wearing a long cape which was sweeping the ground as he walked. It looked to be very old and faded. He walked with the help of a stick, which was as tall as him, or maybe taller. The stick looked like it had been broken from a tree. The man looked like he was very poor. Despite all, he did not look weak. With a straight and firm posture, he walked around the land.

The man had a frown on his face. He was roaming the city as if he was searching for something. It was quite puzzling as the city was almost destroyed in the ongoing battles. There was nothing precious worth searching for left. He was going crazy when he did not find it. Mumbling something incohorent under his breath and shouting like a mad man. Every few metres, he would look around and groan, not like he was tired but more like he was frustrated. Everyone thought that he had gone mad. War did that to people. It was not uncommon to find a mad man roaming the streets every now and then cursing at trees and poles. The battle had cost a lot of lives, with the lives went the sanity of their loved ones. It really was a distressing sight.

After days or maybe months of walking around, he rested under a tree, a dying tree, a tree which had no leaves left. The man suddenly tensed, as if he sensed something. He looked right and left. Seemingly not found what he was looking for, he stood up and went round the tree many times. His actions were not really giving much proof for his sanity. Then he stopped and stared at something across the road. He smiled as he saw it.

"I found it!" He shouted. All the people around him were quite confused, as they looked in the direction he was looking. What had he found? What was so valuable to search for in the destroyed place?

It was a rose plant. It was dying, there were few leaves left on it. Why would he want that? People around were now comfirmed that he was indeed a madman and no longer showed any curiosity in him or his actions.

He uprooted the plant, and planted it in the middle of an empty land. The land had nothing on it, no house, no plant, nothing. It was not even suitable for plants to grow.

Despite planting a dying plant on a deserted land, the man watered it everyday, no one knew why he did whatever he did. Nobody cared too as a madman is known to do insensible things. So life went on in the small city.

(The first chapter may seem a bit boring but i promise it will get good at the end so keep reading)