Chapter 8

Hey, guys!  New upload.  Okay, chapter 7 is back.  I think I confused some of you when I said it was gone--but it was, don't get me wrong.  (I swear I'm not crazy!)  Which is why I'm afraid to delete the copy of it incase it does something else I don't want.  So there are now, and will be two Chapter 7s.  Just wanted to clear that up.  Sorry for the confusion.

Also, you guys reached the five votes...almost twice.  So'll be uploading twice.  :)

Enjoy!

***

“I want that one, mommy!”

Oh, no.  I’ve been hearing that enough that I knew to run.

A little boy in a striped blue and white shirt was pointing at me, his other hand clutching a Gameboy.  A woman, his mother I guess, looked at me before smiling at her son.  “Of course, dear, whatever one you want.”

Too late.  He began to charge me. 

I turned tail and ran.  Over the past few days I had explored every nook and cranny of the place, also stealing the hearts of all who met me.  Sometimes that was good, like getting the privilege to walk around where every I wanted, but sometimes it was not so good, like when people I don’t like try to adopt me.

And this spoiled little boy I definitely did not want to go home with.  He’d probably already killed several cats and blamed it on the butler.  I didn’t want to be another furry murder mystery.

I darted past him and into the adoption center, to his obnoxious cry and his mother’s exasperated sigh.  Jill, the redhead, was volunteering right now, and she saw me rush in.

“Another adoptee.” she grinned at me, pushing back in her chair and opening a drawer for me.  I jumped in and she slid it closed just as the boy and his mother entered the room. 

“Excuse me, ma’am, is there something I can help you with?” Jill asked sweetly.

“Yes, as a matter of fact, have you seen a grey tabby cat just come in here?  My son, Henry, would like to adopt it.”  The woman said.  Her voice was muffled through the wood of the drawer.

“Oh, Storm, you mean?  No, she’s the mascot of this place.”

“Oh…so it is not for sale?” the woman asked. 

I bristled at the way she said ‘for sale’ like a piece of meat.  And ‘it’ after clearly being told I was a her.

No I’m not for sale you awful lady.