Chapter 4: Infinity

Dinner at Ray’s was silent. The silence took over the room like storm clouds over a sky, and it was beyond awkward. Ally sat beside Akeli, playing with her spaghetti with a disgusted facial expression.

“Why does psghetti look so much like worms?” she remarked disgustedly. I giggled at her pronunciation error as I ate my meatball. She has a big personality, just like her mother or at least, what used to be her mother. You see Akeli changed a lot over the years. Stress took over her heart and it seems like she didn’t have time to be the cool chick she used to be. It happened as soon as she went to art school. Her unique talents eventually got her a job and she got her own art studio and called it Ray of light, naming it after Rayon. I thought it was extremely corny, but it made him happy. Akeli and Ray just have that corny type of relationship, it’s adorable at first but after a while it gets annoying. I learned to cope, though, Rayon is the only thing that seems to make Akeli happy now days with the exception of Ally.

“Allyson, eat your food.” Akeli said annoyed. She picked up the fork attempting to put it in Allyson’s mouth, but she closed it shaking her head trying to dodge the food. Akeli kept making attempts until Ally pushed away the fork causing pasta and marinara sauce to splat all over Akeli’s face. Ally’s mouth went wide open.

“I’m sorry Mommy.” Ally said, taking a napkin and wiping her mother’s face off. I heard a chuckle and it carried on for a while until it turned into full out laughter.

“It’s not funny Rayon!” Akeli stated seriously. He kept laughing until I joined in. Eventually Ally joined in too, three of us laughing. Akeli was giving us “the stank face” for a while, until she joined in and the laughter was all around. We were laughing over something so completely stupid, but it felt good to laugh. I kept laughing until my eyes landed over a painting in the corner. It had words in cursive saying “Live beyond” and then a painting of hands making the infinity sign directly under it. I remember that painting so distinctly….

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

February 16: Continued

Akeli and I were heading out of fifth period, going into sixth period which was our choice class and our final class of the day.  For the entire day, I was fooling around with Akeli, mostly making fun of all the teachers and I showed her around the school a bit.

“What’s your choice class?” I asked as we were going out of the door of Mr. Williams’ class. I’m pretty sure he was the only decent teacher in the school, although he was getting to be in his 60’s. You would think he’d be the grouchy one.

“Art.” She smiled.

“You’re an artist?” I cocked my head to the side in curiosity.

“I wouldn’t say artist, more like a wanna be artist.” She looked up at me.

“Don’t say that, I’m sure you’ll be successful one day.”

“That’s what everyone says.” She mumbled, a little too loudly.

“I want to see some of your art.” I said.

“Why?” She asked stubbornly.

“So I can sell one of them on eBay when you get famous.” I smiled.

She smirked. “You’re not funny.”

“Then why are you laughing?”

“Ughhhh…I can’t with you.” She looked at the ground in defeat. “Fine, meet at the front of the school after sixth period.”

The bell rung suddenly and everyone started to scatter to class.

“I better get to class, need any help finding Art?” I started to walk backwards because Guitar was the opposite way.