Chapter Five: Permission

Shizuko POV:

Me and Chizuru were doing the laundry while Saito was practicing with his blade, and Okita was sitting down watching him. I noticed that Chizuru was looking at him.

"Do you have something to tell me?" Saito said, making me look up.

Chizuru stood up and said, "eh... no... but... I was wondering if I could go outside to look for my father..."

"That's impossible. We have too many wounded people now. We don't have enough personnel to escort you." He said and continued.

"We can still take you with us when we go on patrol." Okita said.

"Really? Then please let me go with you." Chizuru asked.

"But we risk our lives in patrol. Warriors can die if they do something wrong out there. You must at least be able to protect yourself. Otherwise, we can't bring you along." He added.

"He's right, Chizuru." I said standing up, as she turned to look at me. "You have to protect yourself. I know you have me, but when I am not around then you must do so yourself."

"I know self defence. We've attended a Kodachi dojo." She said, mostly to me.

"Then..." Saito said. "Let me test you out."

Chizuru agreed and they stood apart from each other. I was to go second because I am just too amazing for him. I sat with Okita on the side, prepared to watch.

"You don't need to hold back. Come and try to hit me wherever you like." Saito stated.

"But..." Chizuru started.

"Is that short sword just an ornament?"

"That's not true! If you get stabbed by the sword, you'd die, Saito-San." She said.

Me and Okita laughed, "You sure are great if you tell Hajime-kun you are afraid to kill him." Okita says.

"It's not something to laugh about." Chizuru said.

"But if you show them your skills, they may reconsider letting you go outside." I taunted.

"If you don't want to use the sword by any means, then use the back of it." Saito said. Chizuru took her sword and flipped it and got into position. She charged with her sword up.

Saito took his sword out and flung her sword out of her hand and put his blade to her neck. "Wha... What just happened?" Chizuru asked, obviously shocked.

"Hajime-kun is an expert at the quick-draw." Okita said holding her blade up. Chizuru looked down at her hand and didn't see her sword.

"How... In just that second..." She asked.

"I have praised your teacher. Your sword shows no hesitation." Saito said.

"Whoa! That's awesome! I wanna go next!" I said jumping up.

"Okay!" Okita says.

I went and stood in front of Saito. I drew my blade in my right hand and put it beside me, letting the tip touch the ground. "Attack me anyway." Saito said.

"I'm not really one to attack first, but I don't mind doing such once in a while." I said smirking. He nodded. I charged. He drew his blade in a split second and hit it with mine. We were now pushing out blades together with our faces inches apart from each other.

3rd person POV:

Shizuko pushed him back and charged at a lighting speed. She took his sword from his hand and put it behind his neck, while taking her sword and pointing it at his face.

"I win! I win!" Shizuko said smiling and handing his sword to him. "That was so much fun, Saito-kun! Are we allowed o go outside now?!"

"Who taught you?!" Okita said running up to her.

"Hm? Oh, mine and Chizuru's teacher. Also I sometimes trained myself." Shizuko answered. Not all true, though... She thought to herself.

"That's impressive. Good job." Saito said to her. "Your and Chizuru's level is enough not to make us worry about letting you walk outside." He said and walked away.

"He gave you the ok. That is amazing." Okita said to Chizuru.

Shizuko ran up to Saito and hugged him from the back. "Thanks Hajime-kun!" She said and smiled at him. He smiled at her and pat her shoulder.

"You two should just go out already." Okita said to Shizuko and Saito. They separated and Shizuko stood beside Chizuru.

"I don't ask the guy out. It's not my job." Shizuko pointed out.

"So if he did, you would say yes?" Okita said, squinting his eyes.

Shizuko blushed a bit but was saved by Saito, "let's ask the Vice Commander if you can come with us on rounds."

"Thank you very much!" Chizuru said bowing.

"Thank you." Shizuko said and bowed shortly.

"But is you try to escape or interfere with the patrolling... We will kill you." Okita said and went inside with Saito. "Oh and please tell me when exactly you and Hajime-kun will go out, 'Kay?" He asked Shizuko.

"Shut up!" She said and threw a shuriken at the side of his face, nearly slicing his cheek. He looked taken aback and shut the door quickly. "Let's go!" Shizuko said and grabbed Chizuru's hand and led her to Hijikata's room.

"Hijikata-kun~!" Shizuko sang and opened his door. She wasn't surprised to see him doing paperwork while talking to Heisuke and Shimpachi.

He looked up from his work with irritated eyes. "What?" He asked annoyed.

"Can we, can we, can we, have your consult to go out on patrol? Saito-kun said yes!" Shizuko said and sat in front of him with Chizuru at her side.

He sighed.

__________ (I'm too lazy to write what happens in his office and crap)

Shizuko was running down the halls of the Shinsengumi and made it to the kitchen. She found some scraps of meat and made sure no one was looking and ran to Momo.

"Here Momo!" She whispered and handed the price of meat to the kitten.

"Shizuko." She heard a voice behind her.

_________