Chapter Four: The Company of Friends

Shizuko's POV:

"Let's eat!" Everyone said.

"Shimpachi, I'll take that!" Heisuke said.

"I was going to save that for last! Bastard! In that case..." Shimpachi said stealing food from him.

"What are you doing?"

"'What are you doing' my ass! You ate my food!"

"Where do you get off at?! You always eat my food!"

"You're a dwarf of a man, Heisuke! Bring up some old topic like that!"

"It 'ain't old! It was this morning! THIS MORNING! You are three of my sardines!"

"Bast-"

"Stop it both of you!" Inoue said. "Yukimura-kun is shocked no doubt."

They looked at Chizuru. "Inoue-san, you're bringing me into this?" She said nervously.

It's just like old times... I thought. The door opened to reveal Hijikata. "I've returned, men." He said.

He was greeted by the guys. Me and Chizuru just stayed quiet. Then everyone's smiles disappeared as Sannan walked in. When I saw his arm I gasped. Poor guy!

"Vice commander, deputy commander, nice work."

"Welcome back Sannan-san." Okita said.

"It's nice to be back here." Sannan said.

I didn't listen to anything else. I really don't care. I just feel bad for him. Oops! The dark side is slipping in! Just think positive, Shizuko! I just drink my tea and eat my rice as they talk.

Sannan walked out excusing himself. I looked around and saw pity in everyone's eyes. "Hijikata-San, what about Sannan-sans wound?" Sano asked. "How is it really? Tell us."

"I can say nothing." He said then noticed me and Chizuru. "what are you doing? Tell me, who allowed you to leave your room and dine here with these men?" He asked us.

Then everyone began to say that they all allowed it to happen. "You all. How reckless of you." Hijikata said.

"Where's the harm? It's just to eat. And besides, they wouldn't escape. They haven't tried these past couple of weeks." Heisuke said.

"It's only been a couple of weeks." Hijikata said.

"Seriously. You're the one who said that we could stay here." I said.

"Ya! And if your worried about them you should be the babysitter." Okita said.

"What?" Hijikata said.

"Toshi. Come on. Can't we at least allow them to eat here with all of us?" Kundo asked.

"Kundo-San if you're that naïve, the groups leadership will fall apart. Surely you have to e aware of this." Hijikata said.

"Er...um...it's not a problem, I'll just go back to my room." Chizuru said. I nodded in agreement.

"Stay where you are and eat." Hijikata suddenly said stopping us. Well that was fast. I thought. "Well guess I'll eat something too."

Everyone smiled at us. "Okay then! Now we can keep eating together! Can't we, Chizuru?" Heisuke said and I smiled. I think he likes her!

"Yes." Chizuru said smiling.

___________________________

I woke up and saw that Chizuru wasn't there. So I brushed my hair and went outside. I walked around a bit, exploring and learning more about this place. I always made a map in my head of every place I go to. This place is no different.