Hauled In

Okay, that's Ivan in the picture you guys!

D A L L A S

I was walking to wherever around town, but there was almost nobody around. A few people passing by in their trucks, but otherwise the streets were unusually silent.

Then, my eyes caught sight of Ivan Waters. I remember this kid after I beat him up at the Dingo that one time. I would've put him in the hospital if Liz wasn't there to see the fight. Besides that, he's known for vandalizing buildings and carrying weed at parties. Although he does have an oddly clean record, hasn't been arrested or caught doing anything even once.

He looked lonely as hell at that street corner, smoking and he's definitely grown a beard in since our last encounter. I don't get why Liz is even friends with him; he's not good news, at least to me he isn't, and what would she see in him in the first place? I'm obviously the better option.

It wasn't until he looked back at me that I realized I'd been staring at him. We seemed to stare at each other for an eternity before he put his stick on the ground and stepped on it, folding his arms together. I decided to approach him, maybe he has something to say.

"Waters." I less-than-greeted with a nod.

"Winston." He smirked in reply.

The two of us awkwardly stood side-by-side, and I part of me hoped that Liz would magically walk by and save the day. Another part of me prayed she didn't, because he's going to be a cocky little shit and I don't feel like beating anyone today.

"So, how's Liz?"

"Why do you care?" I snarled.

"She is my friend, you know. I can't care for a friend now?" He turned and eyed me, the same annoying smirk plastered across his features.

"Look, I don't know what your plans are, being friends with Liz, but I think you need to keep the fuck away from her."

"Dude, it's not like I'm fucking her. Relax. You know, you can be so uptight and defensive, Winston. And you know what? Maybe I do like her and think she's a cool gal. What could you do about it? Who hurt you so bad that you have to yell at everyone that crosses your path?"

I was fuming by the time I had him in a chokehold against the brick wall of the pharmacy, "Listen, buddy. Right now, it's just you and me. And I'd be a liar if I said you wouldn't fight me back if I threw a punch, correct? But let's get one thing straight. At the end of the day, you'll be the one on the floor, and I'll be the one walking home to my girlfriend. Got it?"

Ivan laughed a laugh that made me cringe, before looking behind and smiling sickly, "Hey Marcus."

My entire body froze. If it was really the Marcus I thought it was, I'll beat him up too. If it was someone else or a ploy to get me to release Ivan, I'll just beat Ivan.

Holding his neck with one ring-clad hand, I slowly turned to see him. The smug, yet depressed-looking face I could only long to have my fist connect with until now. My heartbeat quickened as I let a smirk plaster my features, "Well, isn't it the one and only?"

Marcus' eyes widened as he visibly gulped and began backing away, "Dal-las, oh my go- I'm so- I just- gott-a go-"

In one swift motion, I took him by the collar of his shirt and pushed him into the wall, forgetting about Ivan.

"You know, I- I never thought I'd see you around. Never got the chance to really get my hands on you. I remember when I first met you. You made me sick. Still do, but now you've pissed me off." I glared into his eyes.

"Would you let it go? Even Liz forgave me, all I ask is that you do too."

I laughed at the obvious glint of fear in his eyes, "Well, since you asked so nicely: no."

I took my ring-filled hand and threw one good punch at him. I could feel the impact of his head against the brick walls as I kept swinging, not that he made any effort to swing back. His nose began bleeding severely, I'm sure I broke it considering the fact that his nose was practically shifted under his right eye. I don't know what I was doing while I was doing it, I just kept swinging and punching. It wasn't until I was on the floor that I realized what was going on. I was getting hauled in. Just great.

• • •

L I Z

It was probably seven at night, all the boys except Dallas stood over for dinner, which I gladly helped Darry cook. It was odd; something just didn't seem right, and Dallas was nowhere to be seen. I guessed he was just doing his own thing, until Darry got a call.

"Hello?... What's up?... Dallas, we're eating... Alright, I'll be there with Liz I guess..." Darry sighed and hung up the phone, "You guys, Dal got hauled in again. I'm going with Liz to the jailhouse, the rest of you finish up and stay if you'd like. Soda, you're doing dishes and Pony I expect you in bed when we get back."

I followed Darry with an unsteady feeling in my stomach. I mean, yeah, Dally's been hauled in countless times, but this time felt different.

"Hey, Darry?" I asked, getting in the truck, "Did Dallas want me there?"

"Yeah, says it's something important."