Blue Velvet

Word Count: 1,600+

L I Z

I sat on my couch in the middle of my large living room, my stomach full from Darry's amazing pancakes. I wish it could always be silent like this; that way I wouldn't be so worried about other things, just resting and relaxing. Unfortunately, the world isn't a quiet place. It's loud and piercing and screaming constantly because there's always someone that's awake somewhere. Speaking of no silence, my doorbell rang, signaling for me to go answer the door.

"I'm coming!" I shouted, tiredly stepping to the wooden door.

I swung the door open, and to my surprise, Ivan Waters was standing there with a bouquet of white Carnations, ones that looked exactly like the flowers from my mystery gift not-too-long ago.

It'd been months since I last saw Ivan, he really hadn't changed. When I saw him, he almost got beat to a pulp by a jealous Winston.

"Bethers?" I heard over the music and talking.

I turned my head to see my great, childhood friend, Ivan. He smiled excitedly at me, running up to me. The guys looked at me weird as I got up and ran into Ivan's embracing arms.

"You know, they don't call me Bethers anymore." I chuckled.

"Good, it'll be my special nickname for a special gal like you." He said, entwining our hands and spinning me around like a princess.

"Well, your still small like I remember."

"And your still handsome like I remember." I joked.

Ivan was about 6 feet tall, with seemingly no build, but he could bench press 350 pounds if he set his mind to it. He has coal black hair, styled in a pompadour. Even after all these years, he still doesn't use any hair grease.

I shook from my thoughts, realizing that staring at him wasn't going to do anything but keep us at the door.

"Ivan, what are you- you look so- um-"

"Yeah I know, I look real dressed up to be a greaser," he winked, "but I had to get to the West side somehow."

"Those flowers, they're my favorites."

"I know, didn't you remember my little present from the other day? Or did you forget?"

It was him.

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion as I took Ivan by the arm and pulled him into my house.

"Have a seat, Ivan." I accepted his flowers and simply placed them on the kitchen counter.

When I got back to the living room. Ivan was rested back on the couch, his hands above his head in a relaxed manner.

I sat in a seat across from him, my body tense with surprise from his visit, "Ivan," I sighed, "How did you get to this side of town?"

"Pretty easily, actually. I stole a nice suit from my father, bought these nice flowers, and walked over here. Did get a few glances from some people who saw me coming from the East, but who cares, really."

This was once something I used to adore about Ivan- his constant relaxed tone and laid-back attitude. Now, it annoyed me. Maybe it was because I'm so full of questions at the moment.