This Is Forever

D A L L A S

There we were. Again.

Surprisingly, Buck was out of town for his brother's funeral, so there was no loud people or music coming from downstairs. I didn't even know Buck had a brother. Well, you learn new things everyday.

I had my arm wrapped around Lizzie's shoulders and the other hand on a cigarette. She hates it when I smoke in front of her. I can't help it, though. Something about it makes me want it more. I'm fascinated by the smoke that leaves my lips every time I blow the smoke out of my lungs.

"Babe?" I asked, checking if she was still awake.

A soft 'hmmm' escaped her lips and I sighed in relief, at least she didn't leave me without someone to talk to.

"Do you think- Can you sing to me, babe?" I asked, finally putting out my cigarette.

Elizabeth shifted and sat up, her head now resting on mine instead of my chest. Her hands silently played with my dog tag, something she's been doing often, lately. She released a small sigh, "What would you like me to sing?"

"Maybe some Elvis. Yeah, him."

She warmed her voice up with some vocal notes before finally humming the notes to a song I found all-too-familiar, Can't Help Falling In Love.

"Wise men say only fools rush in,
but I can't help falling in love with you
Shall I stay?
would it be a sin?
If I can't help falling in love with you

Like a river flows, surely to the sea,
Darling so it goes,
some things are meant to be
take my hand, take my whole life too
for I can't help falling in love with you

Like a river flows, surely to the sea,
Darling so it goes,
some things are meant to be
take my hand, take my whole life too
for I can't help falling in love with you
for I can't help falling in love with you......"

It became silent after a while of hearing her beautiful voice, and I only noticed she had been crying after I heard her sniffle a few times.

"Hey, hey," I turned my body to face her, "did I do somethin' wrong, baby girl?"

"No, of course not, Dal. I'd have let you know if you did something. It's just- what if this isn't forever?" Lizzie's usually vibrant dark eyes looked bloodshot as she looked up at me.

"What? Don't talk like that, baby!" I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, "Do we have our fights? Yeah. Do we disagree on things? All of the time! But the things we have in common aren't what make us, it's our differences that make us strong. And don't think that I'm going anywhere anytime soon, baby girl. You're crazy for thinkin' something like that." I smirked.

She chuckled, a hint of relief washing over her bloated face, "That has to be the wisest, most love-struck thing to ever come from your mouth, Winston."

"Oh, shut it, Curtis."

She wrapped her legs around my waist and sat on my lap. Grabbing my jaw-line with her nicely manicured hand, she pushed her lips onto mine, giving me a passionate kiss. I don't think words can even describe the way she took my bottom lip with her teeth lightly, teasing me like she usually does. The thing about Liz when she's teasing you, is that she does just enough to make you want even more of her.

I barely even noticed the way Lizzie was grinding her hips onto mine. The intense friction was enough to make me emit a soft groan from my lips. I inwardly slapped myself for giving in to her so easily. I usually play along with her little games, but I guess not tonight.

"Damn, baby. Want me already?" She smirked, licking her lips in a seductive way.

"I want you all the time. I just gave in a little easier this time, trying to speed things along." I covered my actions with a straight face.

Liz laughed, "Really? So it doesn't get you frustrated when I do... this?" She smiled mischievously, bouncing on my lap slowly and seductively.

"Oh fuck... baby girl why do you enjoy doing this to me?" I held in my gasp and kept my tough persona.

"Because it's fun to see you act all tough, like you don't want me as bad as you do."

It's like she read right through my act, continuing her hip movements, teasing me, making me want her. She let out a giggle as she stroked my face softly, "You look white as a sheet, babe. You okay?"

I released a breath I didn't even know I was holding, "I won't be if you keep doing all of that."

Suddenly she stopped her movements, but remained on my lap. Her expression changed, something I rarely saw in Liz. Usually, she would keep it up when I said things like 'If you keep doing all of that.' It's not like her to stop what we're doing so suddenly. I guess she doesn't want sex tonight. I was taken aback when Elizabeth wrapped her arms around me, engulfing me in a warm hug. I hesitantly hugged back, feeling her embrace. The warmth of our two bodies combined made me grow drowsy, especially with Liz drawing circles on my back with her soft fingertips. We both yawned in unison as I softly picked her up to shift her. We rested in a spooning position, my arm draped over her small, fragile bodice.

"This is forever, right?"

"Of course, baby girl."

• • •

L I Z

I hadn't seen Dallas anywhere, not since he dropped me off at my brothers' place this morning. Since then I've gone to my actual home on the West side and just hung out there. Well, there wasn't much to do except watch television and make music, but both sounded unappealing at the moment. I don't want to walk all the way back to the East, so I'm basically stuck here.

I was about to fall asleep on the couch when the doorbell rang, signaling somebody was at the door. Not wanting to keep the person waiting, I walked as fast as my legs would take me to open the mahogany wooden door. Opening the door with a smile on my face, I was shocked to be greeted with flowers and a box rather than an actual human being.

Carrying the unexpected gifts into the kitchen, I set the bouquet of white carnations in a clear case with water. The box was black with a gold rim, and 'Amore Della Mia Vita' printed in gold lettering at the top.

"Love of my life..." I translated to myself, tracing the lettering before finally opening the mysterious gift.

A gasp emitted from me as I pulled out the most beautiful necklace I've ever seen. It was a pendant with what looked like diamonds encrusted on it, with a lock in the middle. Underneath the necklace was a folded note, in papyrus paper. Whoever this is, really knows how to be a romantic.

My cheeks grew red as I read the poem in my hands:

"Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wand'ring bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom:
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved."

This was my favorite poem, Sonnet 116 by William Shakespeare. There was no name written on anything, no way to tell who purchased these beautiful gifts, or what I did that made me so deserving of them. But, it had to be someone with enough money to buy this many flowers and a diamond necklace.

I'll find out soon enough.