Cherries & Cigarettes

L I Z

Remember when I said I wanted to try cigarettes? I still do. Obviously I'm not gonna tell the gang about this, they'll only end the conversation, a straight-up no. But if I continue to stare at their cigarettes when they smoke, they're going to grow suspicious. I don't think anyone's noticed yet, which is a good thing.

Unfortunately, I made a promise to Dallas that I wouldn't even touch a cigarette, not even on my deathbed. I regret making my promise. I can't break a promise with Dallas, he gets a bit exaggerative when it comes to things like a broken promise, and Darry won't let me hear the end of it if I smoked.

I just crave for something to do. When the boys aren't doing anything, they pass time by smoking. When the boys feel happy, sad, angry, jealous, or just wanna look tuff, they smoke. I want that. Even the Shepard boys let their little sister Angela smoke. Then again, the Shepards are a little bit wacko.

So there I was, sitting next to Dallas in our little hideaway (remember the secret house? We go there regularly now), our bodies tangled together on the couch. Dal kept one arm wrapped around me and the other holding a cigarette.

"Why're you staring, sweet cheeks?" Dallas snapped me out of my daze with his sudden words.

"Oh, I- um- nothing, babe."

He didn't say anything after that, just coolly stared ahead at nothing. I always grew nervous when he said nothing- you just never knew what Dallas Winston was thinking, no matter how hard you tried.

"Sure? You've looked out of it for the past couple a'days. Wanna tell me something?" The words glided smoothly past his cigarette-holding lips.

Just do it.

"I know I promised you that I wouldn't smoke-"

"You trying to tell me you've smoked?" Dallas' breathing began to visibly fasten in pace.

"No! Oh, God no. I'm just craving to try it again." I bit my lip nervously.

"Well, I know I can't get you into this. Your brothers see you as the face of innocence, and if they find out I ever got you into smoking, I'd really be in for it."

My lips pursed as I felt my face grow hot, "I thought you didn't care what anyone else thought, Dallas."

"I don't. But, I respect your brothers too much to take your innocence right in front of their faces." Dallas finally turned to me, looking me deep in the eyes.

"You and I both know I'm not innocent."

Dallas smirked, "But do they know?"

I let out a defeated sigh, and looked at the floor for what seemed like forever. I knew the conversation had been a far-fetched deal from the moment I spoke up, I just wish I hadn't said anything. This would've saved me from a lot of disappointment.

"Look," Dallas grabbed my attention, turning my face to look at him, "I would consider myself a heartless asshole if I let you touch a cigarette. Especially after I told you I didn't want you smoking. I just want you to be healthy. I heard once that smoking turns your lungs black and baby, who wants black lungs? I'm trying to keep you safe."

"I understand that Dallas, I'm just upset that I can't try things that everyone else considers normal. Everywhere you turn, people are smoking and I just want to be one of the normal people for once. Just once."

Dallas sat up with me and put out his cigarette, then planted a kiss on my forehead. He held me for a while, and I inhaled his relaxing scent. He smelled like cherries and cigarettes, and if I were asked what my favorite smell was, it would be that.

Cherries and cigarettes.

Dallas let out a deep sigh, "Who would I be if I didn't have you?"

"Locked up, probably having one-night-stands every night." I chuckled softly.

He scoffed, "I'm shocked that you think so lowly of me. Like I'm some... greaser!" He smirked, attacking my face with kisses.

I giggled and attempted to push him away, but he only leaned into me more. Eventually, he had me pinned on the couch laughing and barely breathing from all the laughter. Suddenly, he stopped attacking my face and gave me a chance to catch my breath. My eyes flickered between his eyes and his chaste lips, which were stood there, teasing me. I moved my head up and quickly yet roughly kissed him for five seconds. When I pulled away, he only licked his lips briefly and leaned back in.

I could feel his smirk as I shyly bit his lower lip and tugged at it. My face grew red and I was hesitant to lean back in, did he notice my shyness?

"There's no need to be all shy and quiet, baby," Dallas hissed, almost reading my mind as he loosened his grip on my wrists, "I already know how rough you get."

I closed my eyes and let out a groan, "Stop making fun of me, I can't help it!"

"No one's making any fun here, Liz. I like it. A lot."

• • •

"Where've you two been?" Two-But glanced at us only slightly as we stepped into the house.

"Around town." Dallas answered nonchalantly, plopping down on his usual spot on the couch.

"Where is everybody?" I pondered out loud, walking from the kitchen.

"Pone and Johnny are together as per usual, Steve and Soda are working as per usual, and Darry is also working as per usual." Two took a chug of his beer.

"If you say 'as per usual' again I'm gonna lose it." I giggled out loud.

"As. Per. Usual."

I grabbed his beer and took a swig of it just to spite him, and stuck my tongue out to tease him.

"You drink?" Dallas suddenly asked. It took me a few seconds to process what had happened and I quickly handed Two-Bit his drink back.

"Well, y-yeah..."

"Did you know about this?" Dallas shifted to Two-Bit.

"Yeah, I thought you knew. But I guess not..."

"Who else knows about this?" He asked warily.

"Nobody but us. I'm sorry I didn't tell you baby, I don't drink often so it never crossed my mind." I explained, biting my lip nervously.

"It's cool, at least I know now."

A/N: how was this chapter, y'all??