Chapter 18: Part 1

Start from the beginning

          I looked at Mrs. Keen and it made me want to cry seeing her. I never thought I’d ever see any people from school again.

          “May I help you dear?” She said to me.

“Yes, I’m Juliana. Juliana Stefanio.” I watched as her expression turned to shock.

          “Excuse me? Oh dear. Oh my. Debbie!” She nudged the woman next to her and when the lady looked at me she dropped the phone she was holding. “Mother of God… you’re… no, we weren’t informed you were back!” She called the principle in and when he saw me, oh goodness, he freaked out. “You’re safe now, right? Well you must be! You’re here.” He said in awe. He put a hand on my shoulder.

          “It’s good to have you back, Juliana. We didn’t have much to tell the students… the police wouldn’t tell us anything. And your father didn’t have any information either. But, it was most troubling that you were at school. Tell me, if you don’t mind, what happened? Was it as simple as a runaway? Or were you abducted?” He moved his hands as he spoke.

“I can’t tell you much, actually. I wasn’t kidnapped exactly though. It wasn’t like that. I meant to come back at first… I’m sorry. I shouldn’t talk about this.” I went into safe mode when Alex squeezed my hand a little too tight, signaling that I had said enough.

“But, you’re safe now, right? You’re alright? We don’t want to rush you into classes right away if you need some time off.” Mr. Burnin asked me.

I wasn’t safe but I guess in a way I’m better off. “Now I am. I was wondering if I could have a copy of my old schedule, though. I was going to school somewhere else and I can’t remember what classes I had here.” I blushed slightly.

          “Where were you going to school, honey?” The original woman asked sweetly.

“Um… in Colorado.” I answered.

          “Oh! Okay. Well… Here you go!” She printed a copy of my schedule and handed it to me. “And you have a friend?” She looked at Alex.

          “Alex Titian. I called this morning. They should have put me in all of Juliana’s classes.” He shook her hand nicely.

          “Yes. You have been added to her classes. If you two need any help just come to me. And Juliana, if you need anything at all, don’t hesitate to ask. We’ve all missed you very much.”

          I nodded and thanked her for everything. “Come on!” I said to Alex. I took his hand and pulled him out into the hallway. Before I could get anywhere the Principal was on the televisions announcing my return, saying that he had talked to me this morning and that the students can welcome me back but continue the day as usual.

“JULIANA?” I heard my name and turned around. My best friend, Morgan, was staring at me with a bunch of people standing around her.

          I choked on a tear and ran to her. I threw my arms around her and squeezed her as tight as I could. “MORGAN!” I cried out.

          I let go and looked at her. I didn’t seem to remember her until now. I looked at her long blonde hair and perfect tan. She got taller too but was thin like me.

          “What happened to you!?” She asked. People in the hall started to yell and shout at me. I looked around and saw Alex standing a few feet away. The crowd was in a large circle around us. In the center was Morgan, Alex, and I. I pulled Alex closer to me and looked at Morgan.

          “I’ll tell you later.” She looked at Alex and back to me.

          “Where did he come from?!” She pointed at him and he grabbed her finger. She let out a scream and I covered her mouth. I let go when she had herself under control.