Chapter 2

I ended up sleeping in some old lady's attic. It was good enough for me. It helped that the window was open but still not the best considering I had to climb on her garage roof to get in.

Sunlight hit my eyelids causing me to jerk up in shock. I got up slowly and made my way to the window. My clothes were wrinkled and dirty but I didn’t have anything else.

I climbed out the open window onto the roof. I checked for observers, none. Getting down was a lot harder than getting up. My foot kept getting caught in a vine. “Need some help with that?” I screamed and let go of the satellite dish I was clinging to. Something hard and cold caught me. I opened my eyes and stared at the face starring back at me. “Holy crap!” I yelled. Alex set me on my feet but kept my hand in his. “Did you sleep well darling?” He gave me that same smirk again. How could I be such a fool? Climb in a window in the same neighborhood he lived in? And I’m sure he had a beautiful view of my ass! I was wearing my school uniform which consisted of a skirt and white shirt with a red tie.

“What are you talking about?” I squinted my eyes at him. He looked at my apparel for a second and answered, “It amuses me to watch you sleep. It’s a shame you woke up so early. I would have loved to see you in that amazing sunlight.” He dropped my hand while I dropped my jaw. Alex turned and walked around to the front door of the house. He unlocked the front door and motioned me to follow him. I stayed silent as he led me upstairs and into a bedroom. I guessed it was his since the walls were painted red and there was a heap of clothes on the floor. “Oh, this is my room. Like it?” He went to his closet, pushing aside jeans and sweatshirts. “It’s… unique. What are your interests?” Alex took out a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. He laid them on the bed and turned to me. “I like vampires. I guess I just find the topic fascinating. Tell me about yourself.” This question was easy. “I like vampires. I find them beautiful and amazing creatures.” Just like yesterday he was in front of me in a flash. He pushed me against the wall. His hands on either side of my head.

I was absolutely right about him. His eyes now a dark crimson rather that peaceful blue. “Are you mocking me?” He demanded through his teeth. I was not scared of him. I looked him right in the eye and said, “Why would I mock a vampire? I would only be asking you to kill me.” I ducked under his right arm and sat in his computer chair.

He turned around to see me. He starred for a good five minutes and I starred right back. “So what does your diet consist of? Do you really suck the blood from humans?” Alex put his hands to his face and sat on the floor against the wall. I moved from my place by his desk, to the floor next to him. “Look, I know I’m right about you. Don’t ask why or how I know, I just know. I might have had some experience with vampires before. No big deal this time around.” I looked at him with sympathetic eyes.

“Why aren’t you running? Aren’t you scared I’ll hurt you?” His face was full of concern. “I’m not afraid of you. I told you that. I don’t care what you are.” Footsteps came from the hallway and stopped at the closed door. “Alexander! Wake up! Breakfast is ready!” An elderly lady opened the door. “Oh! I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to intrude!” She closed the door and left.

“Sorry. Louise usually has to come get me on Saturday mornings. She didn’t know I had a friend over.” Friend? Did he just call me his friend? Sweet. I smiled back. “It’s okay. She’s sweet. Is she your grandmother?” He looked down at his hands. “No. Louise found me after I changed and I’ve lived with her since then. I’ve tried to find my family but I have few memories of them.” “I’m sorry. But it was nice of her to let you stay here.” He got up and handed me the clothes he’d laid on the bed. “The bathroom is through that door. If they don’t fit I’ll find you something else.” He was pointing to a door on the opposite side of his room. He has his own bathroom?!?!

“Wow.” I murmured as I looked around. There was a shower in one corner and a Jacuzzi tub in another. The sinks stretched across one wall.

The jeans fit me perfectly. They must be too small for him. He had taken out a black t-shirt, which was only a little big on my slim figure.

I opened the door but Alex wasn’t waiting in the room. “Alex? Where did you go?” I whispered. “I didn’t go anywhere.” I turned around but he wasn’t there either. “Come on! I’m waiting!” I said. “What are you talking about?” I looked towards the door. Sure enough he was leaning on the frame. “Gotcha, didn’t I?” He motioned me to follow him. I walked out the door and down the stairs. “Took you long enough.” He was sitting at the kitchen table, leaning back in his chair. “Sorry I can’t turn myself into a bat and fly down here like you can!” I said jokingly.” “Here we are darlings!” Louise set a plate on the table. I sat down in the chair across from Alex. “Alexander, here you go.” She handed him a glass of some red stuff. I happened to know that this “red stuff” was blood. Louise next put a stack of pancakes on the plate in front of me. I stared at the food. Disgusting stuff, human food. “Aren’t you going to eat?” Alex looked at my disgusted face. “Uh, can’t I have some of that red juice?” I really was craving a good drink. He looked at Louise with a worried look. “I don’t think you’d like it.” Great, now I have to convince him I want it. I wouldn’t be able to go the whole day without any. “I think I may have had it before. I would really like some.” He set his glass down. “I’ll be right back. Louise may I speak with you?” She touched his arm and pulled him towards the living room.

I reached across the table and took a sip from his glass. Wonderful. I ran swiftly to the fridge and grabbed the bottle of blood. Next I got a glass and poured a whole glass. I chugged the whole thing in a matter of seconds.

By the time they got back I was sitting in my chair again. Alex sat back down in his chair. But he didn’t continue with his drink, instead he was starring at me. “I’m not so hungry anymore. Can I just have a glass of water please?” I turned to Louise as I asked. It was clear she was confused. “Of course, oh, what is your name dear?” She set my glass down on the table. “Ember. My name is Ember.”

“What was that?” Alex asked. We stood in front of his house after breakfast. “What was what?” I lied. “Never mind. I should get you home now.” He looked at his watch. Twelve thirty. “No! I mean, I can’t go home now, or ever.” I looked at my down at my shoes. “Why can’t you go home?” “Well, I told you that I may have had some past experiences with vampires, right?” He looked confused an anxious at the same time. “Yes, did they do something to you? Are you hurt in any way?” I was hurt. I knew I was too. But there is no way I can tell him the whole story. “No, I’m not hurt. Only a couple scrapes from running. Do you really want to know what happened?” He nodded.

I told him it would take a while so he took me to a place he went to think sometimes. We sat on a big rock by a creek.

“Okay, I’m ready to listen.”

      I took a deep breath. “Ok. I used to go to a boarding school in Vermont. My best friend there happened to be a vampire. When she told me I wasn’t all that surprised. I read a lot about vampires and loved learning about them.” I paused to take another breath.

“Every time a vampire turns 14 they have to go to the council. So I went with her since she didn’t want to go alone. Little did we know at the time, It’s illegal to tell a mortal you’re a vampire. Am I right?” He’d stayed quiet so long I needed to know he was still listening.

“That’s right. But if they figure it out on their own they must be destroyed or turned to vampirism.” "

Good to know, but I already knew. “So she told them I was planning on joining them as quickly as possible. They gave me one year to become a vampire. When my year was up they came for me. I’d forgotten about this and when my friend warned me they would be coming soon I ran. But they caught me soon enough. I was able to escape though, and I ended up here.”

I sighed and looked away. “So you have nowhere to go?” “

"Right." I answered.