Chapter 8

“Ember. Come on, you have to wake up now.” A soft touch brought me out of my sleep. I rolled onto my back and opened my eyes. “What?! How did you get in here?” I starred into the face of, none other than, Alexander Titian.

“Ember, you left your key card in the door.” He laughed a quietly as I blushed. “Now, I think there is something else you need to tell me. But I can wait until you get dressed.” With that he got up and walked out of the bedroom.

          Juliana! Juliana! JULIANA STEFANIO!! A voice screamed through my mind as I got dressed. It came out of nowhere and I was terrified. I dropped my hairbrush and screamed.

“What do you want from me?!?!?!” I screamed at the top of my lungs. Juliana! Darling, tell him! He will help you! Trust me. The last two words faded away in my head. “Go away! I can’t do it! I can’t tell him! Leave me alone!” I screamed into the air of the bathroom. I was horrified. What part of me would tell myself to do something with that?

          “What’s wrong? Are you okay? Are you hurt?” Alex ripped open the door, only to find me sitting in the corner crying. He sat down on the floor in front of me. I cried some more and beat my fists on my knees. “Stop that. You’re only going to hurt yourself. Come here.” He pulled me into his lap and cradled me. “Shhh.” He murmured and ran his hand through my hair.

          “I’m sorry I worried you.” I whimpered into his shirt. “It’s not your fault.” How could four simple words make me feel so much better?

          We sat on the floor for a few more minutes until he finally mentioned something about running out of time.

          “I need to know… um… I’m not sure what I should call you.” We were now sitting on either sides of the table in the kitchen. “I know. But when I was crying and yelling, well… I heard this voice in my mind. The only person I could think of when it happened was my best friend.” He looked at me curiously. “You’re best friend. The one you went to the council with. Who is already a vampire, right?” I looked at my palms, knowing they were getting sticky with sweat.

 “Yeah, Well Lucy knew something about me. She knew… my name.” He closed his eyes and shook his head like he knew that was coming. I took a deep breath, “My name isn’t Ember Roth." I paused. "It’s actually Juliana. My name is Juliana Stefanio.”

I got up from the table and took out a glass. Since he already knew I was a vampire I didn’t have to hide my speed. I quickly filled my glass with “red liquid.” I took it back to the table and sat down. “Sorry, it took me an extra second. I’m not used to doing that around you.” I mumbled.

“Why would you do that? I mean, why would you hide something like that from me?” I didn’t have a very good reason but I had to try.

“I was scared. When I met you, you asked what my name was. So then I told you the first thing that came to my mind.” My head hung low as I took another sip from my glass.

“Well I really wish you had trusted me enough to keep your secret. But that doesn’t matter now.”

“But it does Alex! It does! I didn’t tell you and now you’ll never forgive me!” The tears were coming back again.

“I’m trying to understand Emb… Juliana.” He looked at my face and whipped a tear off my cheek. “I’m sorry. I don’t know what you’d like to be called now.”

“Juliana.” I answered, whipping away another tear. “Go on, please.”

“Well I’ve thought about it a lot and I have a plan, but it’s really up to you.” He started to play with the salt shaker on the table. “Okay, what is it?”

“Wait!” I yelled. “Sorry, but I have something that may throw off your plan. It really depends.” I pulled the note out of my pocket and laid it on the table, sliding it across so he could see it.

“Wow. When did you get this Juliana?” His voice quivered when he spoke. “This morning. This guy at the front desk gave it to me. I asked for a new key card and this was under it.”

He only had one thing to say… “Oh my God.”