C h a p t e r S e v e n

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song: "Sleep Alone" By Bat For Lashes

C h a p t e r S e v e n >

"...And the light hit her so beautifully in that moment. I knew that maybe fate had it right for the first time since I realized who she was to me. That maybe I could really grow to love her, you know? That things weren't as impossible as I first thought. You know what I mean?"

Poppy tries to focus on the book in her hands as Connor tells her all about his date with her sister but it's hard. The hands holding it are so tightly gripping it that her knuckles are white. She doesn't really want to hear this but she has to. She's decided that this is how she'll get over the fact that she still has a crush on Connor. Despite him being matched to his sister and that he's now made it clear that he's falling for said sister, Poppy still likes him.

God but does she wish she didn't.

Poppy doesn't respond to him verbally, just with another nod. She's been biting her inner cheek trying to keep her opinions to herself. The bright look in his eyes and ridiculous smile though isn't helping. He looks like a kid who was just given the Christmas gift he's been begging for all year. It makes Poppy want to throw up somewhere or hit him. Does romance make everyone into such hopeless starry-eyed idiots or is he special? Thinking back on her own sibling's relationships she's guessing not.

"I really think this is the start of something good," Connor says with the same dopy smile he's been wearing since yesterday morning. When he turns to her for conformation, Poppy diverts her eyes back to her book, "Don't you think, Pop?"

She clears her throat, "Yeah, that's great."

"Are you even listening?"

Poppy shrugs, "Bits and pieces."

"Come on, Pop-rocks, you're supposed to be my girl when it comes to this stuff," He whines dramatically before sticking his lower lip out in a pout, " I mean, do you think she likes me yet?"

Poppy is momentarily caught on the 'my girl' part before shaking it off. He isn't hers, she repeats like a mantra in her head. He isn't hers and she isn't allowed to feel jealous about the fact. The lines are drawn in the sand and she knows where she needs to keep herself in check. Jealousy is definitely one of these places. In her head, Poppy's wolf growls in agreement, which isn't very surprising.

Her wolf isn't very supportive of Poppy's crush but what can she do? She feels how she feels and since her own mate doesn't seem to be making an appearance what did anyone expect from her? To just wither away happily while everyone else got their other halves without even trying? Poppy shakes her head, trying to dislodge the string of questions. They only ever lead to bitterness on her part.

"I don't know, Connor," She sighs as she closes her book and throws it on her bed, "Probably. She's your mate, right? She's bound to like you sometime."

Connor runs a hand through his blonde hair and tugs at it a little, "Yeah but I want that to happen sooner than later, you know?"

"Then maybe you should tell her you're mates. That would really get the ball rolling."

Connor makes a face, "I can't do that."

"Why not?"

"I just...can't."

Poppy rolls her eyes, "Don't tell me you're afraid of her. She couldn't hurt a fly and if she did she'd probably cry about it and give it an elaborate funeral."

Connor gives her a quick glare, "I'm not scared of her...well, not exactly."

Poppy leans back against her headboard and reaches up to play with the 3-d fish Selah made her to hang over her bed. Its blue and has unevenly placed red button eyes but Poppy loves the ugly thing. It was one of the first things her niece ever made her and just like she did with Cassidy's stuff, she saves everything that Selah gives her.