Gusto kong liparin ang kamao ko sa pisngi ni Aldrin nang makita ko ang victory smile niya. Nakakaloko. Nakakainis. Inaagawan niya ako ng responsibilidad. Oh, wait. Ako nga pala ang umaagaw.

"O-okay." Mahinhing sagot ni Nao. Mukhang naintindihan naman niya, ganunpaman, nais kong icancel na lamang ang appointment kay Attorney Lim. Pero hindi talaga pupwede.

"Mag-ingat ka, kuya." Dagdag niya na may halong ngiti na ngayon. I patted her head and took a final glance at Aldrin, and he nodded without a single word, as if thanking me for letting him.

I turned around and left them.

Mag-ingat ka, kuya.

I was hoping that I could still hear those words every single day.

TWO WEEKS after since Aldrin came into view, nagkasakit si Nao. Nagulat na lang ako nang tumawag si Manang Greta ng tatlong beses sa aking phone pero hindi ko nasagot. Later on, she conceded to text me. At halos mapatalon ako sa kinauupuan ko ng sinabi niyang na-admit sa Davao Doctor's Hospital si Naomi.

Nasa Marc Pole kasi ako kasama si Attorney Lim, coz I was legally introduced in the Board of Directors as Miriam Doromal's successor. Of course, wala pa akong alam para makisawsaw sa business ng aking ina, but then again, I was expected to carry the responsibility in the right time. It's just a matter of when.

Dahil nasa gitna pa ako ng formal meeting ng mga Board, with Attorney Lim as my legal counselor, hindi ako makalabas ng conference room. Kahit gustuhin ko man. When Mr. Lim whispered to me that we had to go dinner with them, I almost lost my mind. The heck with dinner!

"Nasa ospital si Nao." Bulong ko kay Attorney Lim nang papalabas na kami sa conference room, with all those businessmen chattering around me. "I can't have dinner with them."

"You can't. You must stay and pretend that you like these people even if you don't. Remember, you're still nothing to them except for your inheritance. Aside from your mother, you are your uncle's only possible heir."

I gritted my teeth so much that it hurt. Inheritance? The only thing that kept me holding onto it was because of Naomi, because I wanted to give her a comfortable life. If not for her, I wouldn't even go around and flaunt my value around these freak businessmen. I barely knew them!

Attorney Lim faked a friendly smile at Mr. Stockholm, who passed by us, and he was surely good at faking it. Si Mr. Stockholm ay isa sa mga Board, he was the second highest stockholder owner. Si Uncle Lucas kasi ang may pinakamalaking share.

"Mr. Boaz, you should come and join us in dinner. After all, your uncle couldn't come." Mr. Stockholm grinned at me, and I was about to refuse when Attorney Lim intervened.

"It is his pleasure, Mr. Stockholm." Sabi ni Attorney Lim. Just great.

I scorned at Attorney Lim pero hindi niya nakita dahil may mga directors pang dumadaan na kailangan niyang bigyan ng pansin in my behalf. The fake smiles, business talks, and annoying grins were everywhere it almost felt unreal. Right then and then, I wanted to run away from that isolated building and see Naomi. Lots of stressful thoughts drained my brain. What happened to Naomi? Why was she in the hospital and I was here? Why in the world I was stuck in this place?

I followed them towards the dining hall sa Marc Pole, struggling myself from making a commotion. I wanted to throw my anger towards my legal counselor. Who else, anyway.

When we got into the dining hall, I stood beside Attorney Lim, and fake a smile at people passing by, while telling him, "How dare you decide for myself."

"Pardon?" Sabi ni Attorney Lim, finally glancing at me.

I turned to look up to him, eyes warning, lips twitching, "Next time, wag mo akong pangunahan, Attorney Lim."

I saw how his eyes shrink into mixed feelings, but mostly of dread, then I turned to walk away targeting the exit.

"Wait, Josh! Saan ka pupunta?" I heard him calling, his faint steps following me behind. He couldn't stop me now. There was no way I would exchange Naomi's safety with these freaking business people.

I was already in the hallway when he grabbed my arm. "You can't leave now! Ano na lang ang sasabihin ng mga tao? Ng mga tiyuhin mo? For goodness' sake, Josh, this conference was organized by your Uncle Lucas para lang ma-introduced ka formally sa mga partners niyo."

"Nasa hospital si Naomi and you expect me to stay here? Go and rot away, Attorney Lim, coz I'm freaking suffocated every second I'm here." I slapped his hand away and saw how frustrated he was. Of course he would. He's my guardian and my well-being was his responsibility. He wouldn't get his share of money if he failed to do his job. But then again, I wouldn't care.

I was already far away when Attorney Lim asked, "Saang Hospital naroon si Miss Naomi? I'd take you there."

As if conquering a throne, I grinned.